Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the site

Hi Everyone-

This is my first week here on the site, and I must say I love having somewhere to talk about all this MS stuff. A little bit about me..I am 25 and live in the Chicagoland area. I am currently a General Education Assistant at an Elementary school, but hoping to have my own classroom this fall. I have my Masters in Education and my Bachelors in Business. I absolutely love what I do, but it is a tough job to have!

I was diagnosed in 2007 when my world was flipped upside down. I started on Avonex, but developed an allergy to it, so I have been on Copaxone since 2008. I am not happy with it and have been having huge issues since April. I typically have 1 flare up a year, in February/March, with constant tingling, numbness, spasms and pain. I am on a boat load of other meds, still trying to find the right combo for me. Luckily, I have an amazing supportive family and boyfriend that do anything and everything for me and understand my ups and downs.

Since April, I have been having a flare up and it is the worst one yet. Pain in my back, legs and feet on a daily basis. Vision is blurry throughout the day, horrible muscle spasms, can't sleep...the list goes on and on. When I went to the doctor a few weeks ago, I had another MRI, and found a new lesion in my spinal cord at T2. My doctor is baffled by it and thinks that is where all my issues are coming from. We discussed switching meds, and I am still in limbo.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a new DMD? Any other advice/comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Dx: 03/2007
    Rx: Copaxone since 04/08

Hello karjo7

Welcome to MS World - glad you found us here!

Sorry that you have been having a long, tough flare up since April

I'm not qualified to advise you on a DMD, but what has your neuro discussed? After Avonex and Copaxone, there are a few remaining DMD's. Have you visited the Medications Forum here yet? You could start a thread there and maybe get more responses on what is working for others.

It's nice that you have a supportive family and boyfriend And how wonderful that you have the Masters in Education, and maybe your own classroom this fall

I'm sure you will benefit from the Forums here. Alot of information and support. Hope to hear more from you.

Good luck in finding the treatment that's right for you.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks! It's nice to have advice from people that know where I'm coming from.

I have talked to my doctor about other options, he is leaning towards Tysabri. I will see what others think too.

Comment

karjo7

In the Medications Forum, there is also a Tysarbi Sub-Forum that is very interesting.

Good luck to you

Take care,
        KoKo
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

hi kayjo, Just wanted to pop in and say hi! Im glad you are here and I hope you can find the answers you are looking for. I m sorry about your flare ups, hope things get better soon.

I have not been Dx that long so Im a newbie on evrything.

Glad your here, nice to meet you!

Comment

KARJO,
            WELCOME GLAD YOU LIKE US. I WAS ON TYSABRI FOR A YEAR, AND IT COMPLETELY HALTED ALL MS PROGRESSION. BOTH LESIONS AND PHYSICAL. THIS IS A GREAT PLACE, I`VE BEEN DXED FOR 10 YEARS AND AM STILL LEARNING (MOST OF IT HERE). GOOD LUCK.

DAVE
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

That is great to hear Dave. I will definetly talk it over with my doctor, but it's nice to hear that it halted everything. Like I said, I'm a 25 year old woman and I would rather be out having fun, than sitting on the couch with a heating pad!

Thanks to everyone who has commented. Every little bit helps. I feel like I get more info here than I do from any discussion with my doctor--who is great--but still.

Comment

Hi and welcome to MSWorld!

I was on Betaseron for about 2 1/2 years. It was good for me - no bad reactions and no flares or new lesions.

However, my walking was getting worse, so at the beginning of this year I started Tysabri. Hoping for improvement with this , have balance issues too.

Hope your sx fade away and your feeling better soon. If not, good luck with a different med if you decide to go with that.

Comment

How is the Tysabri going for you?

Thanks for the well wishes too.

Comment

KARJO, CAREFUL WITH THE HEATING PAD. DO YOU HAVE ANY HEAT TOLERANCE ISSUES? THE HEATING PAD MAY NOT BE A GOOD OPTION IF YOU DO.

DAVE
                    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                    volunteer
                    MS World
                    hunterd@msworld.org
                    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I do, but the heating pad doesn't seem to bother them. I only do it for short periods of time. I learned my lesson by falling asleep on it once and I burned myself.

I am coming off a 3 week stint of high dose steroids, so I am extremely sensitive to any heat right now!

Comment

Working...
                      X