Confusion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusion...

My most recent MRI showed a new lesion (the only new one in 6 years). The Dr. Said it was in a sensory area of my brain which makes sense since all of my strength and coordination is good, but I have numbness and hypersensitivity all at the same time in my feet. However, he said that the lesion didn't enhance which would mean it wasn't active. Then he said it could be active without enhancing on MRI and we should discuss steroids after the holiday weekend. I am so confused. I thought active disease that needed to be treated would enhance...now there's this grey area where I can't feel my dumb painful feet and I don't know what to do about it...I'm too busy for this crap. I just want to feel my darn feet and get on with raising three little kids and being a great wife.

The way I understand it, Enhancing only speaks to how "fresh" the lesion is. They can tell if you've had an exacerbation recently if it enhances on the MRI.

Steroids are only effective shortly after a relapse. He seems to be saying, that even though the new lesion is not enhancing, it still might be fresh enough for steroids to do some good.

So. If you want to do the steroids, you foot may feel better after. That's it. Whether you take the steroids or not will not change the outcome,

Here's the chart to help you decide. Remember - it's your decision whether to take steroids or not and they will not change your progression.

Comment

I was typing and then it jumped and thanked me for my post. I wasn't finished.

Take the steroids or not, but you may not need them. If you're nervous, the doc may give them to try to calm you down.

Here's the chart

https://www.virginiamason.org/workfi...acerbation.pdf

Comment

Working...
      X