Word finding tips from speech therapist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word finding tips from speech therapist

I am a speech/language pathologist (and I have MS). I am also in my 50s, and find myself with some word finding problems. There is a recent thread on here about this problem. There is no substitution for speech therapy, and it can only help so much, but I thought I might list some tips that can help:
    triggers to help find a word:
    1. think of an associated word (if you are looking for the word "cup", and can come up with "tea", it might help
    2. try to think of what sound it starts with
    3. try to visualize the printed word, or the letter it starts wtih
    4. start your sentence over, see if that helps

things to help relate an event, or tell a story:
    1. go slow
    2. use words like first, then, next, last, and try to think that way
    3. think before you speak
    4.. use the above word-finding tips
    5. visualize your story before you speak

It's hard to give generic tips, but maybe these will help someone....they help me....

Thanks so much!

I have been describing what the object does. Maybe these things will help
    Now to find a way for the finger I intend to type go down
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Thanks for the great suggestions, Lemstar.
      “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
      Diagnosed 1979

Comment

:0

so I'm not the only one who talks my way around the word I want?

Comment

Originally posted by techie View Post
          I have been describing what the object does.
          I do this often too! Lemstar, thanks for these tips. I try to slow down and think before I speak, but what sometimes happens when I'm around fast talkers (or rude unconscious ones) is that they'll start talking over me or change the subject. This is sometimes soooo frustrating! Sometimes I just stop talking altogether.

Other times I try to speak up and say "NOW - what I was trying to saying...." but they've moved on.
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I have this problem with talking and when chatting on the forums. I either type the wrong word, cannot remember a word or cannot spell a word. I just improvise and move on but I know my vocabulary is shrinking as MS gnaws holes in my brain.

Comment

mtnwillow--we can fight the shrinking vocab by using whatever we have, and continuing using it.
              techie--describing what the object does is good, like finding associated words.

reading, writing, using our language is our greatest weapon against brain robbery.

Comment

Thank you for ideas!
                Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

lemstar, so kind of you to post this helpful information. I am frustrated much of the time with "word fishing," which certainly does not help. Thank you sooo much! Be Well.
                  Shalom,
                  Suzanne
                  You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

thank you

Lemstar,

I am always recommending speech therapist for those that say they have a hard time finding words. Thank you for the post because I will refer people to it in chat when I am there and someone says they have issues.
                    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

doctors are often remiss when it comes to recommending various therapies. physical therapy has done a great deal for my balance issues from MS. (even pediatricians often don't recognize early problems, and early intervention.)

Comment

Working...
                      X