Chemical facial peels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chemical facial peels

I am wondering why someone with an autoimmune disease should not have a chemical peel. I can't find out any information as to why. Does anyone know?

I'm curious as to who told you that? Apart from working at the laser hair removal clinic as a certified laser tech, I was also trained in facials and chemical peels. I've never heard this and regularly give myself peels if needed and also give them to another friend of mine with Chrones.
    Rae Roy

Comment

Hi wookieland:
      Autoimmunity in general isn't an absolute contraindication to a chemical peel. Different autoimmune diseases affect different body tissues, so the level of risk depends on the disease and the affected tissue. Someone with, say, cutaneous lupus or a clotting disorder like antiphospholipid syndrome would be at a higher risk for adverse effects of a skin peel than would someone with MS, which is internal.

Another consideration is how deep a peel you're considering.

With autoimmune conditions, there is often concern about causing irritation and inflammation in a body that doesn't deal well with inflammation. I think common sense would dictate that an irritating elective procedure (even a chemical peel) shouldn't be done during an active inflammatory phase of an autoimmune condition. Risk level goes down, obviously, during a remission.

A person's risk level is also affected by what medications they're taking to treat their autoimmune condition. Someone on steroids and immunosuppressants is at increased risk of infection. The risk of infection in an immunocompromised patient is of concern in situations where the underlying disease itself might not be. Copaxone probably isn't a problem.

Some salons will do treatments on anyone. There are some salons (in my area, at least) that won't do peels on people with autoimmune conditions because they aren't connected with medical professionals and don't want to incur any liability for anyone who isn't in perfect health. Medical spas and doctors' offices have different policies. What you're going to be told about your risk depends on the facility where you go and the knowledge level of the person you ask. A cosmetologist at a skin salon might not be the best person to assess your medical risks. It's probably in your best interest to ask the opinion of your doctor, who knows you, your medications and your health status.

Comment

Once again, thanks for shedding light where needed Redwings....

.... and also congratulations on 2000 posts!

All helpful, all appreciated.

J

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
          .... and also congratulations on 2000 posts!
          Thank you, J! I hadn't noticed. No balloons or confetti fell from the ceiling when I hit "Submit Reply."

Comment

chemical peel

Funny you should post this because my sister is an esthetician and wanted to try a new type of chemical peel on me that she was going to use on a client the following week. I never even considered my MS when I said I would do it. I am not currently on a DMD. We decided to go easy since I had never had a peel before.

Turned out great! No problems and I think my skin looks better. I am going to do it again in December when I am on vacation and go a few layers deeper.
            Jeanette
            DX RRMS 11/06
            Copaxone 1/07-5/08 FTY720 Trial 2008 Gilenya 11/11

Comment

I had both IPL and chemical peels months ago. I was fine, no issues at all. The way I feel about it is ..If I have to be ill, and walk like I am drunk.. I might as look good.

Comment

Working...
              X