Someone please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone please help.

I thought I was in a flare. I had an MRI yesturday with a "stable" result!!! I cannot figure out why! My legs are trembling, going all wrong. They HURT, and buzz, and pins and needles. I am walking all "jello legged". I don't understand why am I progressing w/o an active MRI?? I am supposed to be RRMS. I'm supposed to recover from relapses right? Not get worse with no evidence on an MRI.

I'm scared that I am progressing, and if this is the case I'm progressing in hyper-drive. Please help explain this all to me. I'm so scared.

Thank you.
    Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
    Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

Which MRI did you have?

You didn't say, was your MRI of the brain, of the thoracic spine, the cervical spine, or the lumbar spine? You can have lesions in one of four areas of your body, and if you had only one MRI, it may not have been the right one.
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Hello inmoni5,

There is a saying " treat the patient, not the MRI."

The MRI does not necessarily correlate to how someone feels. You can have a relapse and the MRI looks fine, you can feel fine and the MRI shows active lesions and sometimes the MRI will match to how you are feeling.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by chalknpens View Post
        You didn't say, was your MRI of the brain, of the thoracic spine, the cervical spine, or the lumbar spine? You can have lesions in one of four areas of your body, and if you had only one MRI, it may not have been the right one.
        Brain and cervical. I had one in May that included the Thoracic spine but the doc said that the lumbar was not needed as lesions are not in the lumbar spine.
        ???????????
        Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

Comment

My neuro likes to treat the patient (me) and not the MRI. I was dx'd on June 30, 2010 and have only had 2 MRIs. One that dx'd me (they thought I had a stroke so did an MRI and found lesions) and the 2nd MRI was a few months later in Sept 2010 because neuro wanted an MRI with contrast as they did not use contrast in my first MRI.

So fast forward a year later, now, and neuro says there really isnt a need for another MRI unless I really really want one. He said we need to treat how you feel.

I would maybe look for a new neuro with more of an open mind.

CrazyCatLady
          MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

Even the wonderful MRI technology is not able to determine which of those lesions is causing you problems. A lesion can enhance but not necessarily be active at the time of your MRI.

So even if your MRI is fairly uneventful you can be suffering from the effects of the disease. Sounds like you might benefit from steroids if your neuro agrees or one of the medications that subdue some of the symptoms you mention.

Good Luck. Diane
            You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

If I think I'm in a flare (having new and/or weird sxs that come suddenly and last more than a day) then I'm probably in a flare. So I rest, drink lots of water, try to cleanse system, and of course take my meds....Rest as much as possible. After a while add in light exercise

Diet may bring on sxs. I think about what I have eaten when things go wrong. I have progressed over the last 15 years...so I try to slow it down as much as possible....Keep exercising!...Watch your diet!

Good Luck
              [I]Tellnhelen
              Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

I would maybe look for a new neuro with more of an open mind.
                I'm thinking that is probably a pretty good idea. I always feel very inferior when I see her. She always looks at me with this stare and makes me feel like she doesn't believe anything I am saying. I feel horrible and my gait is really off.

She said to me the other day "why are you walking that way?" Ummm...lemme think....uh cuz my leg is giving me issues. I must have turned 5 different shades of red.

I am getting to the point to where I hate going to the Dr.

I have a very good raport with the one nurse and today when she called to discuss my MRI results, I just started crying. She was so sweet. She asked of course if I was under stress or if I may be sick. No and no.

Now they want to do bloodwork. I think I'm gonna request a T and L spine MRI. It's just that these symptoms came on on Friday and they are increasing daily.

Comment

Hi inmoni5

Don't worry about what the MRI says..I had one MRI almost 30 years ago, and recently when my Neurologist retired the new Doc ordered another. The MRI will not predict or explain why your flare is lasting longer.

My recommendation is continue with your life as normal as possible and before you know it the flare will be gone. Just remember these are only 'feelings' your legs don't really weigh 1000 lbs ea and your hands or feet are not fuzzy, it just 'feels' that way.

My best to you
                  Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

My neurologist told me there was nothing new or different on my last MRI, compared to the one two years ago.
                    Now, I'd had two big flares in that time, worse and involving different things than ever before. And yes, it was the full Monty MRI both times.
                    No changes.
                    What does that mean? He didn't know, and neither do I.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                      My neurologist told me there was nothing new or different on my last MRI, compared to the one two years ago.
                      Now, I'd had two big flares in that time, worse and involving different things than ever before. And yes, it was the full Monty MRI both times.
                      No changes.
                      What does that mean? He didn't know, and neither do I.
                      So if I read correctly a body could be going through a relapse w/o showing on an MRI??

If that's the case I would feel soooo much better that I'm not just progressing and actually flaring instead.

I have ALL of my records along w/the scans coming to me. I will be going through them w/a fine toothed comb.

Comment

Working...
                      X