Went to neuro appt today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to neuro appt today

She was very nice an helpful , and she decided yes I was having a flare up with new sx . I'm going for an MRI sept 12th . So far I have no official dx so this may be it . It's been 6 yrs. since my only flare so far an I got numerous leisions from it .

I hope I don't get that many this time . I was shocked at the fact I have no toe response when she scrapped that thing across the bottom of my foot . She stuck a needle in my knee and I could'nt really feel anything at all . Has anyone else had weird stuff like that ? How could I not know ?

I was wondering if anyone has advice about how to take care of ones self during a flare ? Do I do nothing or rest more ?

Thank you for any responses and any advice would be helpful
    Tammy
    A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails .
    (unknown)

I've had the same thing happen to me...as far as the toe thingy . Can't remember the stupid name, its on the tip of my brain though! I've lost feeling in my feet and legs a few times when in a flare and when not in a flare...lol

For me its always come back, but MS is a "each to there own" thing. Don't start to freak yourself out yet. I think I read somewhere that it took awhile for you to feel better after your last flare so just hand tuff!

Walk slow if your feet and legs are numb. You never know when your ankle might want to twist. I find it hard to lift my legs when I walk so I plan extra time when I have to go any place. I also can't think well right now so those are the only points I have for you... sorry

Good luck with your MRI

isamadjul
    (allyson)
    DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

Comment

I had similar symptoms on my first flare.

I went to the ER, numb from the chest down to my feet -- this numbness took place over about 4 days in steady progression from the soles of my feet up to my chest. An ER visit at day 2 resulted in no positive diagnosis, with suggested followup care in the event of no improvement. My second ER doc even poked me so hard with a needle that I bled on the gurney... that's how he knew I wasn't faking it.

I'm somewhat surprised that you aren't on IV steroids (methylprednisolone). I was immediately hospitalized and had 1,000MG IV daily for 3 days followed by pill-based prednisone taper for, I think, 14 days.

For a definitive diagnosis, you should have brain and spinal MRI (with contrast) to detect lesions and a spinal tap to look for oligoclonal banding in your cerobrospinal fluid. Remember though that the presence, or lack of, positive results from MRI and spinal tap are not necessarily indicators of MS. (That is, you can have MS without having visible scars on your MRI and without having oligoclonal banding -- but if you have both visible scars and banding, it makes the diagnosis much more valid.)

I won't lie - for me, it was a pretty bad time in my life.

Within two weeks, most of the numbness went away, although I had a bit of a relapse a month later, followed by more outpatient IV steroids and pills.

Today, much of that numbness has gone away, although damage to my myelin has kept my left leg in pain and burning (about 4 on scale of 10 when I'm taking my drugs to tamp it down and keeping the spasms in check at night).

Best wishes to you and keep positive... better days are ahead. You just have to make it through this rough patch.
      Diagnosed October 2008 with Relapse Remitting MS (RRMS).

Comment

Interesting post NerveBuzz. i haven't dealt with numbness but i was recently reading about numbness because a person i know had lateral numbness starting from her head down to her toes on one side...so i have ms & she asked me about that as an ms symptom.

i read that numbness in MS is more likely to proceed up from the feet up rather than down to the feet.

but nothing in MS is "more likely" and she is about to go on a long diagnosis treadmill to find out what it was. it could be ms even if numbness progression wasn't most typical in ms---your post is the first i read of someone describing numbness traveling up since i read that article. Bet your glad to know it was a typical ms progression you described to the ER doc that day.
        xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Working...
        X