Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

denied benefits

Hi,
    I am new, so not sure what to do. I was denied benefits and decided to get a lawyer to help with the appeal. The lawyer said there is no cost if I do not win, but the paperwork for me to fill out says, I pay expenses win or lose. If this normal? If so, about how much would they be? Thanks

Hi, Lee. Thank you for your post and welcome. Costs usually means expenses involved in the claim, e.g., medical records and reports. Representative fees, which are different from costs, are contingent upon the claim being paid and are charges for the representation in the claim.

So you may not have to pay fees unless you win, but you may be responsible for the costs regardless of whether or not you win. Whether you owe costs can depend upon governing law and of course, the contract.

In my experience, costs can vary from a few dollars to several hundred, depending upon the case, but you better talk with your attorney regarding costs for your case.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
    X