Anyone seeing a Naturopath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone seeing a Naturopath?

I'm curious if anyone is seeing a naturopathic Doc for your MS? Either along with seeing a neuro or in lieu of.

Also, are you choosing naturopathic-type treatments *AND* medication, or just natural stuff?

I am currently trying to locate a naturopath in my area who deals with MS and is knowledgeable in treatment MS patients. I just want to consult for now & explore my options.

No Momof8,

I haven't seen a naturopathic doc, but would be interested in their comments.

Initial thought; simple common sense, a visit to Tara's nutrition pages, and exercise (within your limits) mind, body & spirit. Same results... cheaper.

Jer

Comment

I'm looking for a naturopathic physician and would like to do a combo of traditional treatments and natural remedies. Not sure exactly what this looks like...

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
        No Momof8,

I haven't seen a naturopathic doc, but would be interested in their comments.

Initial thought; simple common sense, a visit to Tara's nutrition pages, and exercise (within your limits) mind, body & spirit. Same results... cheaper.

Jer
        I would disagree that internet forum/research would be a comparable substitute for consulting w/a medical professional.

Comment

I see a naturopath. I reccomend it highly.

People are often confused alternative and complementary medecine. You will be advised to keep on your meds and make the changes your naturopath recommends.

In any case, try it and see if you feel better.

Here's a rundown from Dr. Jelenik on doing "whatever it takes".

http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...lementId=20084

Comment

I was interested in seeing one. A co-worker (unaware of my dx) recommended hers to me, telling me the list of diseases he can sure. Yep, MS was on the list!

I decided to run as fast as I could the opposite direction of this guy. And I'm a huge believer in alternative medicine - but not this one!
            DX 10/2008
            Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
            Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
            Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I have been seeing a naturopath for quite a few years now, one who is part of my MS team, along with pcp and neuro. This one is a keeper and is even willing to perscribe LDN in case I ever want to go on it. Also I get lots of blood work done plus recommendations for supplements. It was there where I was turned onto ALA & ALC- both very helpful! I have also received great recommendations on my diet and that is priceless, in my book. When I was on a DMD, the naturo had no problem with this!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by momof8 View Post
                I would disagree that internet forum/research would be a comparable substitute for consulting w/a medical professional.
                I agree that consulting with a medical professional, preferably face-to-face, is preferable if at all possible.

However, you may not know that Tara Palmer, MSWorld's professional nutritionist (Tara's Nutrition & Supplement Notebook), has been working in the field for 20 years and has an undergraduate degree in Biochemistry and a Master's in Human Nutrition. In addition to answering questions on her forum here, Tara offers a one-time 45 minute phone consultation at no cost.

Anyone wanting to learn more about Tara can click on her username (nutritiontara) and obtain the link to her homepage.

Comment

definition...

naturopathy, noun

a system of alternative medicine based on the theory that diseases can be successfully treated or prevented without the use of drugs, by techniques such as control of diet, exercise, and massage

IMHO.... Sounds like an alternative to me BigA.

But still interested in their comments Momof8.

Jer

Comment

Interesting point. I suppose it depends on the naturopath.

I just want everyone to know that they do have something to offer that's not just aroma therapy. The diets they will put you on will reduce inflammation and relapses.

Of course, they can never be "proven" in the same way that medicines are proven because people know when they're on a diet. For modern tests, you need to blind the study so that neither the patient or the doctors know who's on treatment.

But that doesn't mean it's unproven or there is no evidence out there. It's just not of the nature that your doctor can tell you about. Consider that Naturopaths have been advising people to take VitaminD for years, based on evidence. Neurologist are now doing so only after the proof is more definitive. We're also taking fish oil - a giant amount.

On my diet, I don't eat animal products, except for fish. Some diets say no gluten, some don't. They're not harmful and you may find relief from one or the other. You may also avoid getting another disease.

Comment

prior to the cognition and memory issues I wanted to be a naturopath. For the first several years of being ill I treated myself with natural remedies and did very well.

A few years ago, I was told by a neurologist that my natural remedies might be making my cog fog worse. I stopped them all and began taking wellbutrin for fatigue.

It helped a great deal, but recently I began having terrible issues with low blood sugar. It became so bad that I was eating every two hours just to stave off the lows.

Five days ago, I stopped taking the wellbutrin. The sugar issues are gone.

I have decided that for me natural is best. I never had one side affect taking natural supplements.

I can do without blood sugar issues. I have enough woes.

My recommendation is to give it a try, just make sure you find a doctor of Naturopathy from a good school. There are more than a few "diploma" mills out there that specialize in the field of natural medicine.

LBJ

Comment

Working...
                      X