Trigeminal Neuralgia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trigeminal Neuralgia?

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Super painful and terrified of it coming back. Seems there isn't a lot they can do for it??? Almost had a root canal.

I had it for 3 months straight with no meds. Finally went away but will it come back? I could barely eat, talk, swallow and brush my teeth. Just received an MS diagnosis about a month ago. Ihave a bunch of other symptoms (balance, foot drag, dizzy/vertigo, leg weakness) but this was by far the worst.

Wrigley

Some people have had success treating Trigeminal Neuralgia with a med called Tegretol. I'm surprised your doctor didn't prescribe it for you last time.

Unfortunately, TN does come back for some people. At the first signs of another episode, ask your doctor for Tegretol or, if he/she doesn't want to prescribe that, for another med. Don't go through another episode unmedicated!

Comment

Thanks so much Sequoia. I jotted that down in my journal in case it comes back. When I had my episode of TN, I didn't know what it was and actually was going to dentists and almost had a root canal. When they couldn't find anything, they recommended seeing a neuro. By the time I could get in to see him, it was gone. Unfortunately, I didn't have an MS diagnosis at the time so that's why I didn't have any meds. Next time around (I'm praying there isn't a next time), I'll ask about that medication. Thx

Wrigley

Comment

I've only had one major episode. I could not open my mouth therefore drank from a straw for about 10 days while taking liquid Advil. My ENT says thats about the only thing that truly helps and advised against getting the bite guard. I've had some pain since then which never lasts more than a day or so. I no longer chew gum or eat steak or ice as I don't want to tempt fate.

Comment

I have Bilateral TN

Since April. There are several medications available you can try, although I haven't had a lot of success. Check with your neuro so you can be prepared in the event it comes back.

Good luck.
          Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

I take tegretol and it takes away some of the tooth sensitivity until it wears off. For the most part I have found nothing to help but time....

Comment

I have had TN for 7 years, and have an attack once a year. Each year the attack lasts longer. I was told by my Dr that 10 percent of people with TN have MS. It's agony. I'm thinking of having the Kamma Knife procedure. I just got over the latest attack, it lasted 7 weeks, and I went to emergency for pain meds when the pain would not let up. I too am on tegratol and was told by my Dr to take it every day as it takes 2 weeks for it start working, keep it in your system. I keep it low (side affects) and than increase the dosage when I have an attack. I can't imagine going through this without meds. Before being dx I had 2 root canels, which now I bet were not needed!

Comment

I can't believe the ER helped you! I live in a small town and as soon as they hear MS they will not touch me.... I have to wait it out at home.... It is horrible

Comment

I'm lucky that I live in Grand Rapids, Mi, where there is a large hospital. They are now performing the Gamma Knife procedure. Four years ago when I looked into the procedure, I would of had to go to the teaching hospital in Ann Arbor, MI. I was wrong about the med I take 3 times a day, it's called Trileptal. The generic name is on the bottle, so I had to call the pharmacy.

Comment

Working...
                  X