Newbie here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here

I've been lurking about 2 weeks. I registered to respond to one post, and decided I should introduce myself.

My name is Jenn, I'm 33 and a sahm with 4 kiddos ages 12, 7, 6, and 2 1/2. They're all "special needs" 3 adopted through foster care that were drug exposed or addicted prenatally. My bio daughter has mild autism(not mild in how it affects her behavior), and we're dealing with severely learning disabled, ADHD, ODD, and sensory integration disorder. The kids, despite their issues, are wonderful kids(95% of the time) and the light of our lives. I've been married to my best friend now for 13 years and he's been a trooper.

I got sick a little over two years ago. Severe fatigue and pain in nearly every joint in my body. After a year of pain and disability, I finally got a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis(autoimmune inflammatory arthritis) and started Humira injections. They restored me to about 80% and really made life bearable again. Unfortunately, it didn't last. I enjoyed a good six months, then the pain started to increase gradually. I've been miserable the past few months. I was going to change medications and try another one, but that's on hold now, considering the new neurological symptoms that have presented. The anti-TNF arthritis drugs are a no no if I have MS.

I woke up, nearly 2 weeks ago, with a numb arm and hand. I thought it was a pinched nerve; it's happened before. After regaining feeling in most of my hand and arm, I kept having bizarre, uncontrollable twitches in that hand all day. Ever since, I've had weird tremors on occasion and my pinky and ring finger are numb, plus the side of my hand.

Things kept progressing from there. I started having myoclonic jerks all day long, then a strange buzzing/vibrating sensation throughout my entire body. Then I developed severe headaches, and numbness in my foot and leg, plus feelings like bugs were skittering up my affected leg and hand/arm. I've also been extremely exhausted: like can't stay awake more than a few hours. This past weekend, I probably slept 18 hours a day.

Today, I went to my pcp. I have loss of strength in my right hand and leg. I got a shot of Tordol(sp?) to try to help with the headache. Can't get stronger pain meds cuz I'm in pain mgmt, already on meds. The shot helped for a few hours, then the headache came back with a vengeance.

So, I've come here because I know my symptoms point to MS. I already have an autoimmune disease, so I know the likelihood of developing another is there.

I'm hoping it's not MS, for obvious reasons, but mainly because if it is, my treatment options for the arthritis are very limited. I'm diabetic, so no steroids, allergic to one of the other common drugs, and I'll basically only be able to take NSAIDs and pain meds while my joints continue to deteriorate and my disability gradually increases.

So there's my story so far. Sorry to ramble on so long. I'm glad I've found this site. I've read and learned a lot.

-Jenn

Hello Jenn

Welcome to the MS World Forums - nice to meet you! So glad you decided to come out of lurking.

It sounds like you have a wonderful family. I bet there is never a dull moment in your household! You have my admiration for adopting special needs children

Sorry to hear that you are having so many symptoms that may point to MS. Are you going to have further testing? We are here for you whatever the outcome may be.

Let us know what you find out. In the meantime there is plenty of information here and good supportive people also.

Hopefully you will get some relief from the pain and other symptoms soon. Best wishes to you and your family

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Yes, I forgot to say that my dr. is ordering an MRI and a neuro consult. Have to get auth from insurance first, then hopefully scheduling those for later this week or next week.

I also forgot to mention that I was sick for 2 months with GI problems; nausea, sick to my stomach, could barely eat anything. I went to GI, but by the time I got in, I was feeling fine. I did have upper and lower endoscopy done, and it turns out I have gastroparesis. I was feeling fine for a month, then the severe nausea and upset stomach when I eat came back a few days ago too. I did some searching and found that gastroparesis can also be caused by ms, or flare up with ms episodes. That would make sense, if the vagus nerve were being interfered with.

Comment

JENNYFOO,
        WELCOME!!!!!! ALSO DIABETIC TOO. NO FUN DEALING WITH YOUR PROBLEMS AND HAVING LIMITATIONS TO BOOT. MY KIDS AREN`T "SPECIAL NEEDS", BUT THEY ARE WONDERFUL (90% OF THE TIME) TOO. CAN YOU BABYSIT 10% OF THE TIME? LOL GOOD LUCK.

DAVE
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Welcome Jenn! I am a newbie here too myself. You have my admiration for adopting special needs children as well. That is wonderful!

Sounds like you have alot on your plate! I hope they can get it figured all out. I too have several of the symptoms you described...numbness in hand/fingers/arm and bugs crawling sensations on my neck. I also get that vibration feeling...almost feels like their is a cell phone in my pocket going off. LOL

I wish you and your family all the best! Keep us posted on how everything is going. Good luck to you!

Comment

Working...
          X