X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood test for MS? Redwings? anyone?

We have a new member, ChristieAnn67 who has had a blood test to detect MS:
    http://www.gms.net/gmsnet/default.asp

Other than the website ChristieAnn has given there is not much current information about this blood test. I remember hearing about this company quite a few years ago.

I know many of us have heard about and waited for a blood test specific to MS -- to would be wonderful if indicating MS was as simple as drawing blood The Mayo clinic did it for NMO.

From the little I did read on this companies website, the kit/test has to be ordered and shipped to the Physician.

My concern is paying for a blood test that is not even part of the diagnostic criteria. Is this for real or is it a scam?
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Thanks for the links, Sparky
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Here's another link with two articles:

http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuse...ow/pageid/1092

Comment

So, if the blood test is legit why is it not part of the diagnostic criteria? Any ideas?
        Diagnosed 1984

Comment

It's not yet FDA-approved. That's probably why we haven't heard much about it here.
          “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
          Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I had...

this test done. I was given a pamphlet on the test which claimes to detect MS with a 98% or was it 99% of the time, I guess I was in the 1 or 2% because my blood test came back normal.

My LP though showed 6 o-bands, + VEP, and lesions on MRI, so I suppose the test is still being evaluated for accuracy. My neuro told me that if the test is negative it doesn't mean anything one way or another; if its + then maybe I wouldn't have had to have the LP? Who knows, I am glad they didn't just rely on that single test.

Melissa
            Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Originally posted by jazzgirl View Post
              It's not yet FDA-approved. That's probably why we haven't heard much about it here.
              Jazz, MSWorld has new member who says she has had the blood test and she lists Oregon as her state

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114043
              Diagnosed 1984

Comment

holy moly.
                *undiagnosed and just hangin' in there somehow*

Comment

Okay, there's something I'm not understanding here. If it's not FDA-approved, how can it have received marketing approval from state regulatory agencies in 48 states (New York & Florida are the two holdouts).

Comment

To the best of my knowledge there is no blood test to detect MS that has been approved by the FDA, just like no one has yet approved CCSVI surgery to treat MS, but a small group of people have had the surgery and believe it has "cured" them.
                    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
                    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I found this from a 2006 article in the New York Times:

"The F.D.A. already requires approval of diagnostic test kits that are sold widely to labs, hospitals and doctors, considering them to be medical devices. But tests developed and performed by a single laboratory, known in the trade as home-brew tests, have been generally considered lab services and outside F.D.A. purview."

Full article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/06/business/06drug.html

It sounds like the test we're talking about would qualify as "home-brew" and that would explain why it can be marketed.

Doesn't explain why more doctors aren't using it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                        Okay, there's something I'm not understanding here. If it's not FDA-approved, how can it have received marketing approval from state regulatory agencies in 48 states (New York & Florida are the two holdouts).
                        I don't have an answer for you. S. Maybe it's like the medical marijuana issue. Thirteen states have approved its usage for some chronic pain conditions (MS being one of them), but it's still illegal to use according to the Federal government (bunch of old farts if you ask me....
                        Diagnosed 1979

Comment

See my post just above yours, Jazz!

Comment

Originally posted by jazzgirl View Post
                            To the best of my knowledge there is no blood test to detect MS that has been approved by the FDA,
                            I know. Everything out there about diagnosing MS still says "there is no blood test to detect MS."

Sequoia:
                            I'm right there with ya, Sequoia ...
                            Diagnosed 1984

Comment

See my post #12 on the first page, Snoopy!

It also occurs to me that maybe doctors not using it is an insurance issue...the test may not be covered until it gets full FDA approval.

Comment

Working...
                              X