Am I a clutz or do I have foot drop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I a clutz or do I have foot drop?

I fell again. Caught my right foot on the sidewalk & went down. Same thing that happened the last time I fell. There wasn't anything really to trip on, I just didn't lift my foot high enough. It is always my right foot. That is the one I am always catching on rugs & doorsills. There have been a number of times I have tripped but caught myself before falling.

I don't have a dx yet, so of course, I am questioning whether I am making too much of just being a clutz. I have had 11 surgeries on my left knee, so if I was tripping with that leg, I wouldn't even be questioning this. But my right leg has always been the reliable one, so this is worrisome.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" Reinhold Niebuhr

Stalo- does your leg feel like it ways 100 lbs at times? when you walk do you have a tendecy to swing your foot to the side? I didn't realize how weak my leg was until the dr had me sit down and asked me to raise my knee up and couldn't with my bad leg. Your sx are the same as mine and yes I have footdrop, I am able to trip over many invisible things on the floor and am getting pretty good at making it look graceful. A cane has really helped me with the tripping.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Hard to say...

but I will tell you my experience. I would fall down in exactly the same manner, just did not lift the foot, nothing that actually tripped me. It happened in airport terminals...smooth tile floors. I was not diagnosed at the time either.

Years later I now know it was the very beginnings of foot drop. My left foot, which is my affected side, has total foot drop today. I have an ankle/foot orthotic to keep the foot "upright".

I don't know why you are still undiagnosed but you obviously feel it could be MS. To be honest, the whole Limbo Lander thing blows my mind...it must be horrible.

I would monitor developments regarding the foot closely and strive to get a Dx...which I'm sure you are.
      Good luck.

Comment

ouch!

i know that's no fun!
        too many falls landed me in a wc before i was ready. (are we ever ready?)

don't know if it's footdrop. only a dr. could really tell you that.
        but i tripped a lot without footdrop.

a cane now is my constant companion if i'm able to walk. highly suggest that, it's saved me from many a fall!

are you exercising for any type of balance isssues? highly recommend that also. PT got me going on the Wii balance board for their balance games, also found Wii yoga great for helping me balance.

after a yr & 1/2 i can even stand on 1 foot for a short time!

again, check before doing anything!

may God bless you with the care you need!
        "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I fell and tore my shoulder TWICE in well under a year. I had a cane but was not using it at the time. That got me surgeries both times, P/T (Pain & Torture) for that and vestibular etc. Also that year got my first AFOs that have help me keep walking some. Now I use a power-chair and scooter part-time. Both of my falls needing surgery was on flat level surfaces, no cracks etc, not even a throw rug to throw me.........HaHa.

For years I feared my great walking performance was gonna land me in a chair. (instead of canes, walkers & crutches). My Dr order P/C was delivered on a Wed, but it was the following Sat morning I sat in it, almost broke down that my FEAR had arrived. It took a while but I learned the chair was a TOOL that helped me.

Gomer Been there, Done that.

Comment

What do your shoes look like?

I remember seeing Michael Fox on tv announcing he had Parkinson's. The toes of his shoes were all scuffed up. Looked like he had on expensive leather shoes. Haven't seen him in those type shoes since.

Take it easy walking. It is one of those things that we all took for granted before. As I tell my therapist - I can stand if I look at my feet. But that isn't a great way to do. LOL!!

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you everyone for your kind replies! I know none of you can tell me what I am or have, but your input & your stories help put my situation into perspective. Yes...my legs feel very heavy at times & I trip on nothing in particular often. However, I can lift my foot & walk on my heels when I try. So, I think this just happens when I am tired or when I am not paying attention to my walking. Maybe not officially "foot drop" but weakening? I'll ask my Dr next time I see her.

Thanks again!
              "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

I was so happy and excited that I thought I had something new to add to this thread but as I read Sparky said it. Soles of your shoes. Check them out. This proved to work for me in seeing footdrop.

Comment

Working...
                X