Your tremors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your tremors

For anyone who has tremors, (not the internal kind) how long have they lasted? Are they pretty much permanent for you?

I developed a very noticeable tremor from my last relapse in July and now when I pick anything up, go to grab something, try to drink water, etc my hands shake badly. I can;t even play my guitar anymore and I'm only 21 I was wondering how long these bad tremors take to go away.

I've had small tremors that didn't interrupt for years now, but nothing this bad.
    "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power
    is made perfect in weakness." -2 Cor. 12:9

dx 11.23.10 RRMS

Hi Kelsey,
    Im sorry you have tremors. I started w/ a head tremor early on in ms and it has not gone away but is more or less pronounced on better or worse sx days or fatigue or illness.

My hands tremor on ocas' and in spells, usually after ive pushed my physical limits or am feeling really awful.

But they arent constant, fairly frequent tho'.

In consistant spells I use a cup w/ a lid and am more careful carrying stuff, and writing rots. I find heavier utensils eating help.

But yes my tremor sxs come and go in severity but I always have some level of it.

No treatment, Im told for ms tremors are hard to treat and the meds wear off and need more which makes one dopey and groggy.

I wont use stuff unless I cant function.

I have surfed up info for tremor stuff that pd patients use to make life easier...incase I ever need it.

Best of luck to you, Im sorry you have tremor.

Comment

Ive been having tremors the past few days and it just keeps getting worse.

Im sorry you are going through this

Comment

Hand tremors are especially frustrating and they are different for everyone. Some people's tremors get better with time. My hand tremor was my first symptom and has progressively gotten worse, so it depends on the person.

There are things you can try to help it, though nothing will make it go away completely while it is flaring. There are medications (or combinations of meds) that can help. You just need to talk to your neuro about side effects and what is acceptable for you. I'd rather have the side effects than have my hand shaking as bad as it does on my bad days ALL the time. But my tremor is really bad.

Another thing you can do is get set up with some Occupational Therapy and they can give you some tips and ways of working around your hand tremor. Sometimes a hand weight helps control the tremor for the activities you enjoy most. I'm a photographer so hand tremors are bad for business. So I'm doing some OT to help me hopefully get my tremor under more control while I'm holding my camera and other things.

Being younger with a hand tremor is extremely frustrating- I think I've gotten more comments on it than walking like a drunk. I was 24 when mine first showed up. ((hugs)) Hope this helps!
        Erin

doing the Limbo since 2005

Comment

i have them too, and they come and go at thier own will. my hands shake so badly at times that if i`m holding a glass of water, i will spill most of it!
          just a sidenote, if you are taking gabapentin (neurotin), one of the sx are tremors according to my dr.
          good luck.

dave
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I had tremors as part of my first exacerbation which got me diagnosed (24 years old at diagnosis). Through the years they come and go staying anywhere from hours to weeks. I have had some medications cause or make the tremors worse.

For the most part I can ignore tremors but there are times I use Klonopin to stop the tremors.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
              i have them too, and they come and go at thier own will. my hands shake so badly at times that if i`m holding a glass of water, i will spill most of it!
              just a sidenote, if you are taking gabapentin (neurotin), one of the sx are tremors according to my dr.
              good luck.

dave
              Ugh I hate how one drug fixes on thing and causes another LOL we cant win! thanks for info, docs have tried this drug w/ me for nerve pain but I didnt like how I felt.
              If it causes tremor I wont ever use it then, my head alread looks like bobble head doll!

Comment

Thank you everyone already for the responses and kind words.

I don't take gabapentin (haven't since December), but what meds could possibly make tremors worse?

hunterd: yes those are the tremors I'm talking about! They're awful.

dx 11.23.10 RRMS

Comment

Originally posted by Kelsey.23 View Post
                  I don't take gabapentin (haven't since December), but what meds could possibly make tremors worse?
                  Medications used for fatigue such as the ADD meds, Provigil, Nuvigil, Amantadine. Wellbutrin. Those are the ones I can think of at the moment but each person reacts differently to medications.
                  Diagnosed 1984
                  “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

asthma drugs and even otc guifensen for cough, maybe sudafed at high doses. Too much caffiene def' increases it.

Comment

I take wellbutrin for fatigue. When I had my first tremors I was told by my doc that they were from the med.

I do not have them constantly and they happen only on occasion with movement. They happen so rarely that even though I've had them for two years, my hub just noticed them last month.

I tend to believe that they are not from the medication, but part of MS.--at least for me.

Lbj

Comment

The only thing I'm thinking it could be worsened by is my Nuvigil, but I rarely take that since I've built up a tolerance to it.

I just want to know how to make them less intense.

dx 11.23.10 RRMS

Comment

Originally posted by Kelsey.23 View Post
                          I just want to know how to make them less intense.
                          As I stated earlier I do use Klonopin, sometimes, to treat tremors. The URL below has information about tremors and the medications that can be tried.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...mor/index.aspx
                          Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Working...
                          X