Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pseudo exacerbation ----> to flare?

Hi Everyone!
    can a pseudo exacerbation turn into a flare if you overdo it too much?

I have a big project for work coming up involving 5 days of constant travel and walking.

I am just coming out of a rough time with my walking and I still feel weak, wobbly and more stiff and numb if I do too much.

But this is a project I can not not take part in. (essential to my job).

If I really had to I would take measures to not have to walk so much (arranging unfortunately not very discreet transport for lengthy stretches) but that would involve opening up the topic of my walking/health issues (which I would prefer not to do at this point for many many reasons).

I would only do this is there was a very real danger of a fatigue induced episode turning into a more debilitating episode (one which would not improve with rest).

If not, I would just do my best to rest as much as possible, use my cane and "suck it up" and see how things turn out. (maybe it'll be ok.)

I do not have an diagnosis right now, so its unclear if your input is truly relevant. However, many things I experience fit with what people with an MS diagnosis experience. I would be interested to hear what you think.

Thanks for any input!
    Lynne
    *undiagnosed and just hangin' in there somehow*

Hi Lynne,

I have overdone it numerous times through the years. I have "paid" for it (sometimes) anywhere from a day to a week but I have never had a relapse or any lasting damage from overdoing it.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this. Even nurses can't seem to get it straight.

Genuine exacerbations can be increased by stress, but overdoing it for short periods is only likely to cause pseudo exacerbations, which can go on for a long time, or just make you feel all your symptoms more acutely.

Just make sure you get as much rest as possible, don't over do the drinking and remember to watch your stress levels.

remember that as an MSer, you need more rest than you used to.

Comment

Hard Choices

That is a really tough decision you face there. I can honestly say that I have pushed myself and have paid for it. Several times I have thought things were Pseudo, just to find out later that new leasons had been formed. I don't know if it was because I was pushing myself or not, but once I quite working and removed all that pressure, I did a little better.

If it were me in your position, I might go ahead and sit down with my manager. I would probably not bring up my DX but perhaps let him/her know that you have been feeling sick lately and you want to make sure you do a good job for the company on this activity. If it is important you make it through the entire event then perhaps talking with your employer about your concern that the frequent activity may make the situation worse and that you would like to have a backup plan in place should you start feeling worse, may be a good option. Have the backup ready just in case you get worse rather than better. Anyone with anykind of sickness (even the common cold) would be considered a better employee for thinking of the company and making the event a success before themselves. And if you are an important part of this event happening, you have to make sure you will make it through the whole event. Good luck!!!
        Time is but a name we give to the passing moments of life, it is these moments that hold all the meaning.

Comment

Thanks Snoopy, BigA and Rocky282 for your responses.

My bosses have been very accommodating and also very kind. One of my core duties is this upcoming event. I have to be there, and I have to be as mobile as possible. I think I am just going to see how it works out. I have cancelled all social events in the evenings and hope to be retiring as early as possible.

I am really hoping that I can get through this well. (And I am comforted by Snoopy and BigA information)

Rocky282, I dont have a diagnosis (no lesions, just lots of symptoms and a whole lotta tests My doctor is calling it "a neurological illness of unknown origin" So not so very helpful) Maybe things may be different for me? At least that is what I am hoping for. I am all over the place since May (cant really identify what is going on, things improve, get worse, change, new symptoms come, old ones return. Old flare? New flare? This development is new and its hard for me to figure out)

I am going to trudge on and just stay in tune with my body and hope for the best. Since I do need lots and lots of rest and I plan to get it. The remainder will be a (potentially crappy) learning experience.

Thanks All!
          *undiagnosed and just hangin' in there somehow*

Comment

Working...
          X