Is this a symptom of MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a symptom of MS?

Can anyone shed some light on this, or whether you have experience this before.

I'm RRMS - about 7 years since dx, but what I want to explain refers to when I'm pretty much symptom-free

When I am sitting or lying down, I feel ok , as in there's no spasticity. But when I stand up, my legs (around the hamstrings) tighten up and I can't move. I have to forcefully tighten my legs (it almost feels like I'm stretching my legs while standing up). After maybe 15-30 seconds, the spasticity goes away and I can resume walking as

Can anyone relate to this?

Yes, whiteflagship.

When I stand I don't usually start walking right away, my legs need a few seconds to get their bearings (stability) before I start walking.

Spasticity is part of what has kept me walking all these years. Treating spasticity can sometimes be a fine line; if I take enough medication which takes away the stiffness I will no longer be able to walk.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

YES!

Don't have a dx yet but I'm experiencing that right now. It take awhile before I can walk. Hope you feel better soon.
      “Never permit a dichotomy to rule your life, a dichotomy in which you hate what you do so you can have pleasure in your spare time. Look for a situation in which your work will give you as much happiness as your spare time.” Pablo Picasso

Comment

@Snoopy - I've been prescribed gabapentin 300mg, but I have not taken it as yet as I didnt feel that the spasticity was sooo bad. Plus I'm anti- meds unless it's absolutely necessary.

@gigi - actually to you and snoopy, although I hope you dont get a definite dx, I'm somewhat relieved that some people know what Im going thru.

Take care

Comment

[QUOTE=whiteflagship;1314482 I've been prescribed gabapentin 300mg, but I have not taken it as yet as I didnt feel that the spasticity was sooo bad. Plus I'm anti- meds unless it's absolutely necessary.
          [/QUOTE]

Gabapentin is also used to treat pain, sometimes helps with abnormal sensations as well as spasticity.

I am not anti-med, except for myself I am very med sensitive and have had numerous problems with different medications. I do believe if a medication can help quality of life it's worth taking
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

That's What's Great About These Sites

It always helps when you know you're not alone. Your not. Both in sx and in support.
            “Never permit a dichotomy to rule your life, a dichotomy in which you hate what you do so you can have pleasure in your spare time. Look for a situation in which your work will give you as much happiness as your spare time.” Pablo Picasso

Comment

Hey Whiteflagship,
              I have this problem too. Like Snoopy I have to stand and wait few moments before I can walk and then it takes quite a few steps before I am completely stable.

I often joke with my sons they should never scream run for your life or haul a** if I am sitting down. I have explained if I am sitting down they had better be prepared to carry me. They start laughing and say well Dad it sure has been nice having you around. LOL!! We get a big laugh but I know they would be fighting to get to me.

As for meds, I take 900mg of neurontin daily and it has helped. I do understand some folks can be sensitive to meds. But if possible try it out it may help. Good Luck to you it always a challenge.
              Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
              Babe Ruth

Comment

This is a great help to me. I have had two total hip replacements. One in 2009 and one in 2010. I thought this spacticity may be my hips but I bet it is not. I have no trouble walking after I am up but it is getting up that is slow. Other than that I only stumble occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
                  I often joke with my sons they should never scream run for your life or haul a** if I am sitting down.
                  LMAO

Not so long ago my husband yelled out my name and said, you have to see this...hurry! Hurry?!?! Really!?!?
                  Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                    When I stand I don't usually start walking right away, my legs need a few seconds to get their bearings (stability) before I start walking.
                    That's me in a nutshell. It's been happening for years. Prior to the MS entering the discussion I though I was just getting old!
                    At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                      Yes, whiteflagship.

Spasticity is part of what has kept me walking all these years. Treating spasticity can sometimes be a fine line; if I take enough medication which takes away the stiffness I will no longer be able to walk.

Amazing that I never thought of it this way before.... Thank you Snoopy!

I haven't felt any real need for any pain med or muscle relaxer.... When I feel like I had a good workout upon getting out of bed... I visit the gym, might as well, since I feel that way anyhow. Works... so far.

I too need to get my bearings after sitting for a while. BUT the tightness throughout my entire body actually assisting in my ability to continue to continue! Love looking @ it from that point of view! Thanks for the thread whiteflagship!

Jer

Comment

Working...
                      X