Steroids=hospital stay ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steroids=hospital stay ?

So I am going through an attack (yay.....) and this time I am asking the doc for the steroids.. I refuse to lose vision in my other eye...
    Now... With y'all being so experienced, in YOUR stories, did you have a hospital stay? If so how long??
    If you didn't have a hospital stay, how did your roid sessions go??
    Thanks everyone!!! I'm looking to plan a head

I've only had IV steriods once about one month after I was diagnosed. The first infusion was done at an infusion center and they trained me to do the other two at home. I was given a number to call in case I had any problems which I luckily didn't. My experience was that it made me sleepy but it's different for everyone, just like MS is.

Comment

I have always done my steroid theatments at home. Had a nursing team come out and get my arm vein ready and show my family how to get the first IV started. Then it is just sit for an hour while it drips in me. The only bad part is tasting like I am sucking on my trucks bumper! Put everything away and wait for day 2 and 3.

Comment

I've only had IV steroids one, shortly after dx. I did 3 days (about 2 hrs each day) at a local infusion center.
        DX 10/2008
        Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
        Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
        Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I have only had IVSM once and it was done at home through a center, like Jcs. Nurse came out and got the IV going and showed us what to do. Next two nights did it on our own.

I had some trouble the third night and they started to send a nurse out in the blizzard to come help. Thankfully we were able to work it out on the phone.

I think next time I may do outpatient at the hospital instead because it would be less stressful. But it was nice to sit on my comfy couch and watch TV, etc. in my own home while doing the IV . . .

The IVSM made me wide awake and I had to take sleep pills to sleep for a few days.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

I've done it a number of times and always at home. If my hands are working then after they start the IV I can do it myself. If its my eyes or my hands aren't working then my husband or my oldest (12yr) can help if I need it.

It takes about 1hr to do at home give or take 15min. and I find it pretty easy. The nurse that starts my IV is always only a phone call away and very nice. If I have a question or concern I can call.

Good luck!
            isamadjul (allyson)
            DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

Comment

Oh, I don't know. I suppose it depends on how bad you are feeling, and whether you have health insurance.
              Hospitals aren't necessarily nice, but at least you get a nice lie down. Just remember your earplugs.
              My doctor can do the IV 'roids as one injection, other doctors want you to visit the hospital every day for three days, and others like to put you admit you.

Comment

I did steroids once and it was outpatient. i went in, they put in my i.v., and then I sat in a huge comfy chair watching T.V. for an hour. As soon as my drip was done I went home and returned for an hour the second day and then the third day. I couldn't sleep hardly at all those three days and the next two days. Other than that i felt great though. Had a killer headache for the next week though.
                Dx RR MS - April 1st, 2010. (19 yrs old)
                Words To Live By: "Fall Seven Times; Stand Up Eight."

Comment

I had the steroids once at home. The nurses came out each day to start the iv. When it was completed in about an hour or so I disconnected and cleaned up. The nurses were available immediately if I needed them.
                  "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
                  Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

For my first time I did. But, that was because I had been tachycardic on prednisone and they were unsure how I would react to the solumedrol at the higher dose. So I was inpatient with moniters for the first two days then released after I did fine for the last dose at home.

Insurance will not even pay for inpatient stays with solumedrol anymore according to my neuro-opth.
                    Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
                    ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

I just finished my first IV steroid treatment. It was 5 consecutive days and all infusions were done at home. A nurse came on day 1 to start the IV and teach me how to do things. She came back after day 3 to change the IV line and on day to remove it. It was pretty easy. My only real side effects were some hot flashes.
                      At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

If really depends on your insurance. At first, I did them at home. now that my insurance has changed, I have to go into an infusion center. depends on how bad the flares got, it was usually 3 days, the last one was 5 days. since then, I started monthly IV steroids. I go into the infusion center, not too bad, just have to stay there for about 2 1/2 hours. Not on any other therapies. Good Luck!

Comment

I get steroids monthly (along with chemo) and it is done on an outpatient basis at a hospital-based infusion center.

I can't imagine why IV steroids would need to be administered on an in-patient basis, and believe most insurers would not authorize it
                          Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X