Why benadryl before an infusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why benadryl before an infusion?

Just reading through some of the posts. My first infusion is in 2 days (Wednesday, May 26). Wondering why benadryl.
    I am a phenomenal woman; and still I rise.

My doctor told me it is to keep mild reactions from happening. I also get tylenol. That is suppose to keep a headache away. The benadryl makes me sleepy and I emailed my doctor last month to ask if we could just skip the pre meds. Especially after reading here that not everyone gets them. My doctor made it sound like that was just standard treatment. She never responded.

I have never had any sort of allergic reaction. In the begining I would get a head ache that night or wake up with one. Not for awhile now. I just had number 12 a week ago.

But if you get a rash, even though that is a mild reaction, my doctor takes you off of it.

I think Tysabri is the best out there right now. I haven't had any problems and have had a great reaction to it as far as symptoms go. Much improvement. After being on it one year - in July - I will get an MRI to check things out from that directions.

Drink a lot a couple of days behand, do weights with your arms if you can - both will help starting the IV. Take something to keep you ocupied. Most people are there 2 hours. It is close to 4 for me just because of the way they ordered the stuff. It comes from an off site pharmancy.

I had someone drop me off and my husband came and sat with me the last hour and to drive me home. But now I just drive myself. I come home and sometimes take a nap, and sometimes not. Within a day or two I have tons of energy and the last two months it has lasted the whole month.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Comment

Wow LovingLife. Thanks for all the info. I will call the Neuro's nurse tomorrow and see if he wants me to do the benadryl. I have headache pills already. Something in rx form. I am excited about TY since nothing else seemed to work.
      I am a phenomenal woman; and still I rise.

Comment

tysabri and benadryl

I have been taking tysabri for 2 years now. I don't use any of the "premeds". Some doctors recommend benadryl and tylenol.....

My doctor gave me the option. I decided on my first infusion to not use premeds and see what happened. I was already in a facility being watched, etc. I didn't have any adverse reaction to the infusion.

I continue to not use premeds. I didn't want to use benadryl unless I needed to because it makes me sleepy. My first several infusions, I had someone go with me. Kind of just in case- if I didn't feel good, wanted some company, wanted someone else to drive....

Now I usually go on my own. I either read a book, often take a nap Because I don't take the benadryl and I haven't had any reactions to the meds I can then meet my mom and daughter and go out to dinner.... I don't feel like I have to go running home.

I hope tysabri works for you. When I started it, it was a scary decision. All the info about PML. Now as time goes on, it seems like they have really gotten that more under control.

I used Avonex before tysabri. Now Avonex did make me sick! I felt like I had the flu every weekend!! It was terrible, and I kept getting relapses and new lesions.

On tysabri- I have had no new visible lesions!!! And, two of the existing lesions appear to have become smaller!

I am still having relapses, which my neuro doesn't like, but at least no new lesions!!! My neuro told me most of his other pts aren't getting as many relapses, but we are all different!

Comment

Good luck- i love tysabri

I don't use premeds- my dr gave me the option.
          So for my first infusion I didn't use any, and haven't since. Now everyone is different, so try what you and your dr feel is best for you.

I like not using benadryl cause it makes me sleepy. And I want to be able to do what I want after my infusion.

I have been on tysabri for about 2 years now- happy with it for sure!

Avonex made me sick, and got more lesions.
          On tysabri- no reaction to the infusions (for me) and no new lesions!

Good luck!

Comment

I've also never pre-medicated and have had 31 (maybe 32, I forget) infusions so far. No side effects at all except fatigue and that only a couple of times.

Comment

I never took a pre med till I had a slight reaction after about my fourth infusion. They gave me Benadryl thankfully the only time I did not drive. I informed my Dr I need to drive and now I take a Clariton before each infusion no problem and not sleepy. Good luck
              laurie f
              coming up on #21

Comment

My neuro lets me take Claritin and Tylenol. I am not drugged out and because I have to many allergies to so many things, this helps to ward off some problems.
                "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

Working...
                X