Long MRI - tips/advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long MRI - tips/advice?

I am going in for an MRI on Monday that I've been told will be about 3 hours long w/no breaks.

Any tips/suggestions? I'm not claustrophobic so won't have problems being in the tube that long (at least I don't think I will), but just wondering if you have any coping advice or things you do to pass the time during long procedures like this??

No breaks???!!!!! No way. They'd have to stop to take me out for a couple of potty breaks, at least. Why is the test so long?
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

i Have One on Wednesday

They said it would be about 3 hours as well but there will be breaks every 45 minutes. They said they would have ear phones for me. You may ask if that's the case there. I also am on a steady dose of Zanaflex. I'm going to time the dosage to take one just before the test. Hope yours goes well.
      “Never permit a dichotomy to rule your life, a dichotomy in which you hate what you do so you can have pleasure in your spare time. Look for a situation in which your work will give you as much happiness as your spare time.” Pablo Picasso

Comment

Music is nice. Some of the MRI places I've been to have earphones and set the music to a station like you like. Or, if you have an i-pod you could take it. Doze if you can. I did a lot of that when I had a long one. Basically, plan on being really bored.
        What if trials of this life
        Are Your mercies in disguise?
        "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Originally posted by momof8 View Post
          I am going in for an MRI on Monday that I've been told will be about 3 hours long w/no breaks.

Any tips/suggestions? I'm not claustrophobic so won't have problems being in the tube that long (at least I don't think I will), but just wondering if you have any coping advice or things you do to pass the time during long procedures like this??

Momof8,

I could be wrong but....

My MRI tech alerted me as to what they were scanning, when each scan was to begin (say a few seconds now...), how long it would take (about 8 minutes for this scan) and upon conclusion, which allowed for scratching of nose or slight body readjustment (and I mean slight).

Ask the tech to do this for you, it is a rough way of segmenting the time. You can speak to them after each concluded scan... to change volume of music, change music, ask a question, etc. A big plus.

Ask them for blanket. The room might not seem cool when you begin but... They can always remove it.

They may offer ear plugs (40 decibel), a v. good idea.

They will offer headphones for music. Fine... IMHO even with ear plugs you will hear music etc.

Also, I'm not claustrophobic either but they will place your head in close fitting mask (kind of hockey goal tender thing) to prevent any movement during brain scan. Even if you are not claustrophobic, this willbeclosedin. I kept my eyes closed during the entire MRI.

If you were told 3 hours that means everything will be scanned (With and without contrast), so you should be taken out at some point to allow them to add the marker (with contrast) and you will have 5 mins or so break within the 3 hr period to sit up.

You can bring your own CD's (maybe MP3s?) and they will play them for you. Make sure it is something you enjoy and at a volume level that is acceptable (and doesn't skip!). The MRI is noisy and really can defeat the purpose of the music. They also have choices of music which I never tried.

I went without music. I'm Catholic and have said a rosary using my fingers or meditate (regardless of noise, I've done it)... and a friend actually fell asleep, which I never thought possible.

Don't bring ANY jewelry.... my locker had no lock.

Think positive throughout!

Jer

Comment

Valium

I usually take some Valium for an MRI. I am a little claustrophobic and I HATE having my head locked in the cage. I just close my eyes and fall asleep!! I have slept almost the entire time for the past few scans...I'd have to say the Valium really helps chill me out!

Good luck.
            Dx: 2001
            Currently on Tysabri since Dec 2010
            Feel lucky to be doing so well!

Comment

Here are mine

and alot of them are the same as 502E79 said ....

I like to have the person doing it, talk to me, breaking down the segments also 2 minutes etc.....otherwise I feel like the noises aren't going to stop sometimes( gets monotonous to me) & it seems to make the time go faster.

I've found music is good, but I often can't hear it over the noise of MRI & it became too much in that small space. So I don't always have it, just depends on what mood I'm in.

My last MRI they gave me ear plugs. Good! & I could still hear the person when they talked to me.

Speak up too.--> I've had them inject the dye too fast...
              quickly put me back in....felt like I was going vomit.
              Not good with head strapped down. ---I was able to breathe thru it luckily, otherwise the whole thing would have had to repeated, if they had to take me out & move me.....

I try to close my eyes & relax & think good thoughts.
              Good Luck
              T-tk (dx RR 10/08 Copax.2008)
              Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way.

Comment

I just had one on the 16th that did the brain and cervical with and w/o contrast. Took 1 1/2 hours, but it sure doesn't seem that long when you are in there. Many of the places either play music or let you watch a version of tv. So it isn't bad. Just be sure you are comfortable, because you don't get to move once you are in the chamber. (You can when they do the change to the contrast though.)

Comment

I had a "triple" a few weks ago, and was in the tube for over 1 1/2 hours with no break.
                  Never again. I'll make two trips.

The tube doesn't bother me, and I had music for part of it, but holding still that long was miserable.

Comment

My tech let me stretch, scratch, etc as others have said. She also gave me a potty break and a sip of ice water between the two sets of scans. 3 hours from arrival to dismissal not 3 hours in the machine. It wasn't pleasant but better than 3 hrs in a dental chair.

Comment

Last time

sure didn't go to well...I moved like a mad woman!!! I usually do wonderful and this last time they had to redo 2 different sets! I was not happy with myself! My advice...DON'T MOVE

They have also had music both places I have gone for my MRI as well as breaking down how long each set will take. I have only had the "marker" placed on my lower back once..not sure why the first time or why not every since? you got me?

I tend to doze of here and there which can be good if your not a mover in your sleep...very bad if you are

They always tell me to plan on 3hr but it tends to take less time. I always have the full set run since my MS tends to attack my spine but my brain has been affected to. I also always have w/without contrast.

goodluck and here's to fast MRI's
                      DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

Comment

i never had one three hours long, just two hours. (lol! i said just! its a sign ive had too many)

if im going to have a long mri i stay up as late as possible so i sleep threw part of it. now, i know this is a talent that not a lot of people have, it is worth a shot
                        Learn from yesterday
                        Live for today
                        Hope for tomorrow

Comment

Ativan! My dr prescribes me one pill every time I go for an MRI. Works like a charm esp if u r claustrophobic!

Comment

Long MRI

I pray when I am in the MRI machine........start with the letter A and pray my way through the Alphabet.....Thank you Lord that you are Almighty, .....

if that is not your style, I also start a gratitude list....grateful for my children, grateful for my friends, grateful for the things MS has made me appreciate, ( LOL, Yes, I can say that )

Makes the time fly by..............I have been known to fall sound asleep in the MRI tube as well.

Good Luck !!!!

Comment

I am always in some study due to not having insurance and the drug companies always order a 3 hour MRI the doc gives me valium and i have the headphones on and normally sleep thru it!! they say that they have to calibrate the machine to their spacifacations sp? so....... I guess I can add *professional lab rat* to my reseume

Comment

Working...
                              X