Steroids and Cataracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steroids and Cataracts

Just wanted to make everyone aware of something that the doctors may not tell you - steroids can cause cataracts. I had one round of steroids about two years ago that my ophthalmologist said is what has caused the type of cataracts I have in both eyes. I just had surgery today to remove the one in my right eye, and will probably need surgery in December for the left eye. (I'm typing this with one eye bandaged, and not being able to see too clearly out of my "good" eye. It's a good thing I know how to touch type!)

I know steroids can help with many MS symptoms, but I just wanted everyone to be aware that cataracts can be a side effect from even just one dose. Believe me, if I had known about it, I would never have had that dose, because it didn't really help anyway. It definitely wasn't worth the price my eyes had to pay for it.
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Awesome info! Heal fast!
    (wish I didnt have to practically live on the stuff).

Comment

PS: prednisone / solmedrol etc.. also eats your bones if you take high doses.

Comment

Sloth, do you mean osteoporosis?

Does everyone regularly taking steroids go for bone density testing?

I've heard it's important but havnt heard too many folks talking about it here...

Get well soon Lisa! I am sure you're rockin' the injured pirate look,
        *undiagnosed and just hangin' in there somehow*

Comment

Thanks for the heads up!
          techie
          Another pirated saying:
          Half of life is if.
          When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
          Dogs Rule!

Comment

Steroid Side Effects

There are a lot of side effects from steroids (cataracts, bone desnsity loss, etc). It is important to weigh the benefits against the possible effects. Unfortuanately, when we are suffering it is easy to make a rash decision to get relief. However, the long term ramifications really need to be discussed with a doctor. Thanks for the reminder.
            “Never permit a dichotomy to rule your life, a dichotomy in which you hate what you do so you can have pleasure in your spare time. Look for a situation in which your work will give you as much happiness as your spare time.” Pablo Picasso

Comment

Working...
            X