Foot problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foot problem?

Okay, in general, I dislike wearing shoes if I'm at home. It's a bone of contention between my DH and I. I was raised practically barefoot, and he was raised that you never take your shoes off from the time you get up to the time that you go to bed. I also have flat feet, evidently - at least a physical therapist told me that last year.

Especially this summer, because the heat has had my feet swelling, I've been barefoot a lot of the time. Lately, whenever I spend very much time in my tennis shoes, I get spasms and pain. Even when I'm not on my feet. I used to only have this problem with shoes like flats (I gave up heels 10 years ago). Granted, my shoes are a year old, but I don't really wear them a lot, or do all that much to make them wear down.

Does anyone have any input or advice?
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Funny you should post this, I was just searching for the legality of driving barefoot, and apparently it is legal in all the states, even though DH and I believe we were taught that it was not.

I go barefoot as much as possible. There is plenty of opinions regarding this on the net, and even a Society for Barefoot Living (which I might have to look into)

It makes perfect sense to me that shoes cause plenty of foot problems, and it also makes sense to me that relying on a footbed is not necessarily a good thing. Of course you need to be cautious about hazards, that's a given.

My dear grandmother went barefoot most of the time just like me. My dear mother would not go barefoot for a minute, she slipped shoes on before getting out of bed. Neither one of them had any serious foot problems to my knowledge.......

My arch is high/normal by the way. Going barefoot doesn't seem to have flattened my arches over the years.

Comment

I go barefoot or wear scuffs in the house and athletic shoes when I must go out. I remember reading that athletic shoes should be replaced every 6 months. Even though they look okay, the arches are beginning to break down. You may also need a larger shoe for better comfort. I must admit that for me all shoes increase spasms. I greatly prefer to be barefoot.

Comment

Oh, I certainly don't think going barefoot caused my flat feet. I'm sure they've been flat forever, just no one bothered to tell me about it - which explains all the trouble I had wearing heels.
        My mom had a super high arch, too. And yet all three of us have flat feet - and my brother had some sort of congenital problem where some of his bones were fused in his foot, poor guy.
        Even now, three hours after I took my shoes off, my foot is still cramped up.

Comment

Originally posted by Spydre View Post
          Especially this summer, because the heat has had my feet swelling, I've been barefoot a lot of the time.
          If you wear shoes they will act as compression and help with the swelling.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I would love to go barefooted but the bottoms of my feet are so tender & painful I have to have something on my feet all the time. Right now I were my sandals a lot or scuffs.

You do have to be careful not to step on something & cut your foot. It takes longer for a foot to heal.

Take care & enjoy going barefooted. I envy anyone who can.
            Sammie

Comment

I grew up barefoot, also. And going barefoot was pretty much a way of life for me, until ms. Now I must wear shoes for I can't walk or keep my balance well. Going barefoot is difficult now, unfortunately. I miss it!

Comment

I hate to be barefoot because I can't stand dirty feet.

I wear slippers at home most of the time and wear sandals in summer and Merrel clogs in winter.

Comment

Barefoot is not a good thing

for flat feet according to my podiatrist and Orthopedist. I spent thousands in co-pays and 3 surgeries to 'fix' my feet only to find out my symptoms are most probably from a combination of MS and flat feet!

I love going barefoot around the house, but I can always tell when I've been on my feet and barefoot too long. My arch cramps up and my feet and legs really hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by jcrain9663 View Post
                    for flat feet according to my podiatrist and Orthopedist. I spent thousands in co-pays and 3 surgeries to 'fix' my feet only to find out my symptoms are most probably from a combination of MS and flat feet!

I love going barefoot around the house, but I can always tell when I've been on my feet and barefoot too long. My arch cramps up and my feet and legs really hurt.
                    See, that's what's been happening to me when I WEAR shoes lately. Well, it hasn't extended to my legs, but definitely my feet cramping up. I have a feeling it is somehow related to the MS, because this feeling started yesterday on my way home from the Tysabri infusion (I'm getting some really achy side effects) and despite not being in shoes, having a good night's sleep, plus a nap, it still hurts, just like my left hand (all of my side effects from the treatment are on my left side, which is where my MS damage is the worst).

Comment

Working...
                    X