Lumbar Puncture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lumbar Puncture

Would somebody please lie to me about this procedure? I'm scared to death....
    "Tona Naze"
    Symptoms for six years plus. Dx RRMS September 2011. Drugs??? Nope!!!

Originally posted by oso49 View Post
    Would somebody please lie to me about this procedure? I'm scared to death....

Sure!

Seriously, it's normal to be frightened. Geez, the name of it alone is scary. As is the other name "Spinal Tap"

Truly, though, the procedure itself is really not that bad.

They'll numb your back with lidocaine (similar to what the dentist uses). After that you shouldn't feel a thing.

Some doctors do the procedure while you are lying down. Mine preferred me sitting up. So I sat up, hugged a pillow, and leaned on a very nice nurse who kept me from jumping / falling off the table!

The strangest thing that happened was when he hit the right spot, my left leg jumped and I almost kicked the nice nurse!

The procedure itself, start to finish, was less than 20 minutes.

Please follow doctor's instructions to lie flat for as long as possible afterwards. I didn't, and got a horrible 3 day headache!

Let us know how it goes.

Be well,

Comment

Please don't be scared. It's not as bad as it sounds at all - and I am not lying !

Procedure went fine for me. Took less than 10 minutes and my neuro did it himself. Numbed up the spine first so I didn't feel anything.

Did not need to lie down and had no headache. My neuro said that if you are going to get the headache - you will - no matter if you lie down or not.

If you do get the bad headache, they can do something called a "blood patch" (I think that's what it's called) at the hospital that is supposed to give you almost instant relief.

Good luck and don't stress !

Comment

I agree....it's really not that bad! I was laying on my stomach for mine. The worst part was the numbing needle....that was painful.....then the numbness kicked in VERY quickly and I didn't feel a thing. I was sent back to a recovery room for 2 hours and realeased. Went straight home and laid in bed for the next 14 hours. Only got up to eat and pee. I never got the headache.

Oh......and I drank one caffeine drink, then one gatorage, then caffeine and so on. Dr. said caffeine was good to prevent/alleviate the headache.

Out of all the cr@p I went through to get dx'd, the spinal tap was not nearly the worst thing. I had a far harder time with the hour and a half spinal MRI and the 5 days of solu-medrol IV treatments for my ON.

Have you ever had an epidural? Similar to that in my opinion.

Comment

KarenR:

Everything oso49 said... except... I didn't react in any fashion (no nurse kicking) and I had no reaction at all (headache etc).

Didn't even hydrate as some recommend. Horizontal for a few hours upon arriving home and then... good to go.

I think it's the flip side of the question:

"What did you enjoy best about your vacation?"

"The anticipation"

Jer

Comment

agree

I agree with the others. I also wanted to add don't hesitate to call & ask for something to calm you in advance (not sure what they'll suggest, maybe they will give you a prescription like xanax or valium?) I was also anxious so they gave me ativan to help (& it worked) Good Luck!

Comment

Lumbar Puncture Replies

To all of you who reached out and responded to the LP procedure, thank you so much. Your words are very encouraging. The support here is unbelieveable; it has me in tears.

The procedure is Friday AM. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you again!!!
              "Tona Naze"
              Symptoms for six years plus. Dx RRMS September 2011. Drugs??? Nope!!!

Comment

I've had 3 done over the years the first I needed a blood patch but the procedure was ok. The second was done free hand by my chinese neuro in her office I said how much longer before you start she said I'm almost done, absolutely painless. The 3rd using the machine to watch the needle they hit that nerve that goes down the leg and lets say they had my attention, they offer'd to try a different spot but hey your already through the nerve keep going.
                I am a firm believer in the laying down part, my last 2 I was made to lay for 4 hours before they let me up and they did'nt leak like the first one. If you get a headache when you stand and it goes away when you lay down go get the blood patch it is instant relief. I also took a Xanax a half hour before so my body would relax.

Comment

I was scared to death to have mine done! But really, the procedure itself was a piece of cake. It really didn't hurt, it was more like pressure. Mine took longer than usual and even then it wasn't that bad. The tech helping was great at talking to me to keep me occupied so I wasn't worrying about it and then it was done.

I did have the headache and I was dumb and didn't get it taken care of. If you do get the headache, just get the patch at the first sign of it and you will be fine.

I can honestly say the worrying about the procedure beforehand was WAY worse than the actual procedure. Good luck! ((hugs))
                  Erin

doing the Limbo since 2005

Comment

Mine was a piece of cake compared to the MRI's. (I hate being confined in that tube) I was in the room less than 15 minutes. Mine was done by a machine. The one I had 20 years ago was by my physician. I had to lay in a fetal position and did not even know when it was over. I had to stay in day stay for 4 hours laying almost flat. They gave me all kind of drinks and I watched TV. Went home and rested the evening and was normal the next day. Don't make yourself sick with fear. We can do this!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I about gave myself a heart attack worrying about it, and it turned out to be no big deal. No lie.
                      "I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future."

Comment

I was so scared....I didn't sleep for days...and like everyone is telling you it was not bad at all. Like the others have said make sure you lay flat! You will do great!

Comment

I had mine under flouroscopy, and seriously, I never felt a thing, not even the needle when they numbed my back. The worst part for me was having to lie flat on my back the rest of the day.

Be sure you drink plenty of caffeine the day before and the day of the procedure, as it can help ward off "the headache."

Good luck and hugs!

Lisa
                          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

My LP was done in the hospital. I was given IV fluids and Demerol before the procedure. The radiologist numbed my back as I lay on my stomach on the X-ray table. The procedure took longer for me, because the spinal fluid would not come out. I think I fainted on the table, but woke up near the end. He filled 5 tubes with fluid. I was on bedrest the rest of the day. I was a little sore the day after.

Comment

I had nightmares about the LP before I had it. It was a piece of cake. The nurse and Dr and I were talking through the entire thing and I was shocked at how easy it was.
                              My Dr also told me about the caffeine....drink a lot he said.
                              Good Luck!
                              DX 10/26/11

Comment

Working...
                              X