Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you stop getting sick before your MS Started?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you stop getting sick before your MS Started?

I'm working on a theory.

For all of my life, starting in infancy, I got sick very easily. If anyone around me got a cold, I got it and worse. I caught every stomach virus, flu and respiratory infection I came near.

About two years ago I stopped getting sick. My family living in my house, including my daughter, could cough sneeze and literally wipe mucus on me ( mom's understand that bit) and I didn't get sick.

So I sit here wondering if something in my immune system went into overdrive and that something is also the cause of my MS.

Any of you become illness resistant for a while before your MS started?
    Melissa Goerke
    [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

No

In fact I had the worst pneumonia of my life in 2001 and spent most of the night in the emergency room! in Sept 2001
    techie
    Another pirated saying:
    Half of life is if.
    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Originally posted by mgoerke View Post
      Any of you become illness resistant for a while before your MS started?
      No...........
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Not me either, was pretty darn healthy prior to my unpleasant surprise MS diagnosis.

Seems the one thing we can predict about MS is that it is unpredictable.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

I used to catch everything, especially as a child. I was always sick with a stomach virus or cold and that continued until a few years before I started having these weird symptoms. Now, I almost never get sick anymore. I can't remember the last head cold I had, and I haven't had a stomach virus in forever (knock wood!) My husband had the H1N1 virus a few years ago and was sick for a month, and even though I took care of him that whole time, I never caught it. I can be around sick students and people at work, but never get a sniffle or a sneeze.

I'm not sure if it's because of my immune system being in overdrive, or because I've had every infection known to man when I was younger and have built up immunities to everything, or whether I just am more careful to wash my hands and not touch my eyes or my nose until I do. Whatever it is, I'm grateful! And I hope whatever it is continues to protect me!
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Same Here

I have 3 school aged children. I use to catch everything!
            The last time I caught even the most minor of cold was about a year before my diagnosis.
            The girls (and even my husband) have brought every type of illness into the house in the past 3 years and I have somehow managed to avoid it all.

Comment

I use to be sick alot too

sore throats, ear infections ( my ear drum ruptured 1x), flu,
              sinus infections, had 3 kids - had to stay in the hospital 2x for post delivery infections....& the list goes on..

That was pre-MS. Since my diagnosis...basically nothing. I barely catch a cold. I feel one coming on & it's gone like in 24 hrs. I've had one infection, after bladder surgery, UTI which did send the MS into override it seemed at time.

So I would fit that category.
              T-tk (dx RR 10/08 Copax.2008)
              Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way.

Comment

Not me...I have always caught everything going around and still do.

Comment

I rarely got sick except for the occasional cold that would last a few days. In 30 years, the only time I was off work was with a broken leg in 1999.(In hindsight, this was the start of my MS.

Since then, a cold only lasted a few hours. Haven't had any kind of infection since I was diagnosed and started Copaxone in 2008.

Always thought my immune system must be working too hard. That one day it would start attacking me and I would end up with an autoimmune disease.

Never thought it would be MS.

Comment

My entire life until 5th grade I was sick easily. I had a respiratory virus when I was a baby that scarred my lungs badly, asthma, and it was guaranteed that every autumn/winter I would be sick for at least two months straight. After we moved to a new town I was sick the first year but rarely ever since then. I rarely ever get colds anymore either. I wasn't diagnosed until April 2010 so I've just put it down to moving from a medium sized town to the country. Never really thought about it before, but it's and intriguing idea.
                    Dx RR MS - April 1st, 2010. (19 yrs old)
                    Words To Live By: "Fall Seven Times; Stand Up Eight."

Comment

I've has sinus and respirtory infections most of my life and my last flair was brought on by a major infection in my chest where it included an enlarged heart from fluids brcause of the infection

Comment

Not for me either.

I am immuno-suppressed to begin with (autoimmune blood disorder with splenectomy at age 7), so I may not be a good one to be answering this.

Comment

.... hard to answer since I'm not sure when MS began.

Guessing No.

Been blessed with pretty good health.

Jer

Comment

I was rarely sick.

j
                            Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

nope. i had a really bad sinus infection n ended up in the hospital n diagnosed wit ms. i did get lots n lots of sinus infections growing up. more than most. i remember being on 2 n 3 different antibiotics at once.

Comment

Working...
                              X