Flu Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flu Shot

Ok, I'm new to these boards as I was just dx on 6-27-11 with RRMS. I actually saw my neuro yesterday to start the paperwork for Copaxone, but forgot to ask him. With the meds and the MS, can I still get a flu shot? My 4 year old son is in daycare, and my dh works in a retirement/nursing home, so both of them double my exposure.....

TIA

Vanessa

Definitely get the Flu Shot. With the Fever usually associated with the Flu your MS would be almost unbearable. The Shot will not cause any problems with your MS.
    Bill
    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Your doctor is the best person to give you guidance here but I will tell you that I've been on Rebif since 2005 for MS and also have asthma and type 2 diabetes and am 60 yrs old. I get a flu shot every year and have had no adverse reactions. For me the flu is the greater risk.

Wishing you good health!
      Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

I get the flu shot. I've also been told to get the pneumonia shot (which I should be too young for) - both illnesses will make your MS worse.

Comment

Well then, sounds like I will be getting a flu shot! So far my only symptom (and the prompt to the dr. ending in my dx) has been ON, but I certainly want to prolong any other symptoms of MS for as long as possible.

Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by heliotrope View Post
            I get the flu shot. I've also been told to get the pneumonia shot (which I should be too young for) - both illnesses will make your MS worse.
            Heliotrope: don't know how old you are but usually recommended age for you pneumonio shot is 65...and Medicare will only pay for it once. Also, you only get one every 10 years. Medicare must figure you won't out live your shot if you're 65 or older! I got mine at 60 because of all my health issues...at my doctor's advice. My insurance paid for the vaccine so I'm all set. Now if I live past 70 and need a second one Medicare should pay for that one ....that is IF there is still Medicare
            Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Live, attenuated vaccines

You should definitely get these vaccines, but as I just learned today at an MS seminar, a person with MS should never be given a live, attenuated vaccine. An example would be like the flu mist that is sprayed up your nose.

Comment

Yes, don't get the "live" version

I'm glad you posted that deescee<----

I was amazed looking at the earlier thread on Shingles vaccine( which is a live vaccine) & how many MD's had recommended it for their patients.
                T-tk (dx RR 10/08 Copax.2008)
                Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way.

Comment

I was told that I could/should get the shingles vaccine, even though I have MS, because I was on Copaxone, which is an immune modulator, not an immune suppressant like the interferons.

But as always, MS is different for each person, so you should ask your own doctor which vaccines you should get and which you should avoid.

Comment

I've been getting the pneumonia vaccine since my teens because I am immuno-suppressed (well before my MS diagnosis due to blood disorder).

I think I have been getting it every three or five years and my insurance covers it every time because it is a preventive vaccine. Perhaps the newest vaccine will last 10 years but I haven't had that one yet.

I never knew that they don't normally give that until your 60's?!

I also get a flu shot every year, but now don't get the flu mist (live virus) due to MS diagnosis.

I got my first Hep A + B vaccine a few months ago and I'm due to get the booster in October. I will have to be sure that I can get the booster now that I have started Copaxone.

I am going to have a HIB vaccine soon. It is not contra-indicated with the MS or Copaxone treatment.

Comment

Working...
                    X