Good legs when sitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good legs when sitting

I have MS and basically need assistance in order to walk at all - cane or walker so far. However, when I am sitting my legs seem to work perfectly normal - can move, lift, kick etc. Good thing about that is I can continue to drive with no problem.

Then, when I stand, my legs just refuse to work and are weak and have a lot of difficulty walking. Does anyone else have good use of your legs when you are sitting but not standing? Just wondering.

same here

i feel perfect when sitting...as soon as i stand, its horrible...legs r like cement...
    gail

Comment

Yep, same here...legs move normally when sitting, but can only walk a few shaky, leaden steps.

I had to stop driving several years ago, though, because I developed clonus first in my left leg, then in my right too. Can't drive (unless one has hand controls) when one's legs jerk unpredictably.

Comment

I'm guessing it's where the lesions are sited. Or it could be the back/ balance/ weight support a chair gives your body.
        Doesn't work for me as a passenger in a moving car at all.

Comment

I feel perfectly healthy sitting down.

It's only when I stand and walk that I have problems. That's part of the problem. I *look* fine! You would never know I had MS to look at me *unless* you see me walk more than a few feet.

And I don't dare say a word about my walking difficulties to most people. They just don't get it, and tell me I'm just out of shape and need to walk more and get in shape. As if that thought had never occurred to me! I go through my better spells working hard to try to get in better shape, and then something (MS) comes along and smacks me down and I end up worse than I started.

I am done beating myself up about having such difficulty walking. That doesn't mean I've given up, but I do tend to make choices that will preserve my energy. I find if I'm careful MOST of the time, then the times when I really need to be more active go better, and even if I get worn out, I recover in a couple of days or so. The longer and harder I push myself, the worse I feel overall, and the longer it takes to recover.

Comment

Punk Legs

I'm in that boat with you right now. Eight weeks into a relapse in which my legs have gone from week to feeling almost non-existent (buzz or feel empty), and dealing daily with how to go from point A to point B (start out okay, need cane two blocks later, would elbow crutches be better? leaning on supermarket cart even better if possible to take it home?).... I don't want to go out the door on crutches if I don't need them, but then I need them. And there's a sense of panic about being left high and dry too far from wherever my starting point is to get back unless I have the right "tools" with me. I also find that I can do all the motions when I'm sitting, and am making sure I do them: foot rotations, kicks, etc. Anyone have any answers to this situation? Or suggestions how to handle? I've gone into remission and recovered fully from this kind of thing before, though this has now gone on longer than my prior relapses (all doozers, but many years apart).

Comment

The title of this thread had me cracking up!! Yep, I so fully understand. The only difference, is that my left foot is turning inward, but no one would notice unless I pointed it out to them (I think). As soon as I start to walk, things go south (hmm, like other things have). As long as I'm sitting, no one could tell anything was different about me.

I tell everyone, the more I sit, the better I walk... the more I walk the better it is that I sit! lol
              MS, it's a brain thang!
              Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

I tell everyone, the more I sit, the better I walk... the more I walk the better it is that I sit!
                hahahah! Brilliant!

Citlalli:
                empty legs
                yeah, exactly!
                *undiagnosed and just hangin' in there somehow*

Comment

?

Does anybody take anything for it .I have the samething

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you for posting this!!
                    Everyone around me was making me think I was crazy!! And then there is my father who thinks I somehow FAKE my fibromyalgia and my MS :S
                    Well I am so glad to know I am not alone in this!! <3

Comment

Working...
                    X