Did MS cause Panic Attacks Suddenly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did MS cause Panic Attacks Suddenly?

About a month ago I started having Panic Attacks, I can't figure it out. They put me on Lexapro and Ativan (as needed). It has helped a little, but I'm still getting them. I'm fine, then I get all tense, legs get weak, nausea, I just want to get back home. I also cry really hard sometimes at the end of them, then I'm fine. It can happen when I'm driving, when I'm in a store or walking the dog. I just don't get it. I'm not understanding what has happened to me but it's really had affect my life and not for the better. I'm miserable now. My RR MS for 3 years has pretty much not changed in fact my fatigue is not a bad. The family doc and gyno did not feel it was MS related but I need some relief or it is going to affect my MS due to the stress its putting on my body. Any ideas or what else I can look into?

Taking control of panic attacks not only requires medication but a therapist who can help you learn coping skills which can decrease the effect a panic attack can have on you.

I deal with anxiety/panic attacks. Mine ARE NOT related to this disease.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I am so sorry you are going through all this.
      You won't probably have an answer for panic attacks from MDs except to prescribe meds.

BUT I want to tell you its a REAL thing going on.. and probably related to brain..not seriously ..so dont worry.

What I would do is see a nutritionist or chiropractor that has specialized training in evaluating where in your systems you may be deficient, toxic, allergic and what EXACTLY you would need in a nutritional program to help settle down your nervous system. I know it helps.

Sometimes a good detox will make a BIG difference in

Meds..chemicals we eat, drink and breathe compromise our systems until it builds up so much we cannot function. For those predisposed to panic attacks its a messed up nervous system.

Trust me, as a former psychotherapist and having gone through this kind of eval and nutritional program I IMPROVED!!

Good luck.. and know you are not alone..WE care

Warmly, Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by BrendaG View Post
        About a month ago I started having Panic Attacks, I can't figure it out. They put me on Lexapro and Ativan (as needed). It has helped a little, but I'm still getting them. I'm fine, then I get all tense, legs get weak, nausea, I just want to get back home. I also cry really hard sometimes at the end of them, then I'm fine. It can happen when I'm driving, when I'm in a store or walking the dog. I just don't get it. I'm not understanding what has happened to me but it's really had affect my life and not for the better. I'm miserable now. My RR MS for 3 years has pretty much not changed in fact my fatigue is not a bad. The family doc and gyno did not feel it was MS related but I need some relief or it is going to affect my MS due to the stress its putting on my body. Any ideas or what else I can look into?
        hello brenda,
        I too have anxiety attacks. I even have trouble breathing sometimes and I don't know if that is actually a re-occurrence of the physical issues that I had a few years ago or if it is anxiety. I'm guessing that my Dr. thinks it's anxiety because when I called them about it they basically told me to "take a Lorazepam and call me in the morning". Which seemed to help.

I have gotten the impression from my neurologist that the anxiety is related to the M.S. but I always assumed that he just meant that anxiety and depression were an indirect result of just dealing with the stresses of the disease but I will be curious to see if anyone posts of any direct physical connection.

I wish you luck. A panic attack is a horrible experience. (and no fun for the people around us either)
        Compassion, forgiveness, these are the real ultimate sources of power for peace and success in life.
        Dalai Lama

Comment

I have panic attacks. The start of my panic attacks is definitely related to my MS.

I was sick for about 6 months before my diagnosis. One major problem I had was panic attacks. I would have a panic attack about things I had been doing for a long time. Things like figuring the check book, or taking a test (I was in college) or even going to church which I had always loved. This was one of the many things that let us know something was definitely going on.

I began going to a psychiatrist and a psycologist. They helped me get things under control. It will still happen occasionally(like when I got a speedign ticket). It is notnearly as bad.

I hope you are able to find some help!

Comment

Understand

I have been dx with RRMS for almost 10 years and been on betaseron for almost the whole time. No one ever mentioned to me that I might need anxiety medication to go along with the betaseron. Had a bout of h-pylori (stomach disorder) and wow the PANIC ATTACKS really hit. Lexapro is now my new best friend..and I'm not ashamed to say it.
            "And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make"....the beatles..

Comment

I normally have anxiety and learned years ago great coping techniques, until...Copaxone! I swear, while I am on this stuff, I am much faster to panic, worry and stress over silly things! I am also much more emotional than when not on it. When i stop or break from the meds, ALL that goes away. I start back up, and it all comes rushing back in.

Ativan is great, and cymbalta is known to prevent anxiety attacks from starting in the first place. Anxiety btw, IS a form of depression. Just expressed differently. Fascinating!

Comment

I don't know if MS physically causes my anxiety, but it sure doesn't help it, and then the anxiety can make my MS symptoms worse. I get so stressed and wound up sometimes that I feel ready to shriek or burst into tears. It's worst when I'm having cog fog at work and I feel like I'm drowning.

I keep telling myself something like "It's not real - it's a game your mind is playing, it'll be better tomorrow." Then I take a break, go for a walk, close my eyes, take some deep breaths, find something calming to read for a few minutes...whatever I can do at the time.

I do find the "Chicken Soup" series of books to be helpful sometimes because they are so calm and positive, as a general rule. Watching or reading something that makes you laugh is also good - anxiety can't live in an environment of laughter! I have several "comic strip" books (Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes and others) and they're nice little distractions.

Comment

Yes I agree with all the previous posters in useing "self talk" to help you get through a panic attack=your autonomic system which is an involuntary response.

This is more in the psychiatric field and they WILL offer you meds. BUt its good to see a therapist who is familiar with medical conditions so ASK and dont' settle. Not all therapists have experience with people with chronic medical conditions much less MS..so ask.

BUT what I was trying to say in my earlier post is that either a single med or combo..can cause this autonomic changes. So.. sometimes it IS the meds.. AND the MS.

AND ALL Meds which are processed throught he liver can overload the liver..and it does not process properly. It builds UP toxins. THAT is what I was referring to in my earlier post. Detoxing with a qualified and properly trained person, like a nutritionist is very helpful.

Good luck hon

Jan
                  I believe in miracles~!
                  2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                  Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieMoon View Post
                    IAnxiety btw, IS a form of depression. Just expressed differently. Fascinating!
                    I'm not sure where you got your information but Panic/anxiety attacks are not depression expressed differently.

Panic/anxiety attacks can co-exist with depression but you can have Panic/anxiety without depression. It's not a form of depression.

Panic attack:
                    http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publi...disorder.shtml

Depression:
                    http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publi...te-index.shtml
                    Diagnosed 1984
                    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

It did for me Brenda. About this time last year I started waking up in the middle of the night from a dead sleep in full panic attack mode. At first I thought I was having a heart attack. I would also get them if I tried to go out to a restaurant. A couple of weeks later I started to get the other symptoms that led to my eventual MS diagnosis. After a course of IVSM the panic attacks went away. My neuro said they were caused by inflammation in a certain part of my brain.

Prior to this I hadn't had a problem with anxiety or depression. I hope your attacks go away quickly. Jade

Comment

I was diagnosed with panic disorder in 1999, so I already had the panic attacks. My "shrink" has always told me that the medicine is only 50% of the fix the other comes from me- I have to set time aside everyday to do relaxation exercises. It only takes 10 to 15 minutes but it makes a difference. Now however with MS added in officially since 2006, I do notice the attacks have picked up more and they are sneaky. The good thing is is that we know what is wrong with us. Make sure your Doctor gives you something that works for you- mine is kolonopin- just 1/2 a pill works in minutes, but I still strongly recommend the relaxation exercises- they help even before bedtime to loosen tight joints and muscles. Good luck to you and God Bless, I know you are a strong person. Jane

Comment

I had one, about 5 years ago, during an MS flare. Lasted about 2 hours, and DH and a friend were with me the whole time, trying to calm me down. Didn't even know what I was afraid of, but, wow! Was so scary.

Definitely MS-related, in my case.

Have not had any others. Was not treated, either by meds or therapy.

~ Faith
                          ~ Faith
                          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

All I know is that I had my very first panic attack the very day I was diagnosed with MS. It scared the you-know-what out of me. I was fine up until earlier this month when, completely at random, I was laying in bed and, all of a sudden, bam, here it comes. This one was about ten times worse. Ever since, I feel like I am constantly on the verge of another one. I am never far from my Lorazepam.

Comment

Working...
                            X