Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing

Hi all,
    I'm new here. I'm going through the testing process right now to see if I have MS. I see the neurologist on Tuesday for the first time. I'm really really scared not knowing what to expect. I'm only 32 and I just had a baby 6 months ago. I'm afraid of what this diagnosis will mean for me, my husband and my family. I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst when the truth is I don't want to be sick!! I feel terrible complaining when I don't even know if I have ms or not, but like I said I'm just so scared.I was hoping maybe someone could tell me what to expect at the dr and how long it actually takes to get a diagnosis one you start the process. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome!

Your neuro appointment will include a basic exam, he'll check all your reflexes and strength (by pushing/pulling), he'll check how your eyes track, he may ask to see you walk and do some things that may test balance.

After that he may order tests to confirm or rule out problems.

Do let us know how your appointment goes!

Comment

Those other tests, should your dr deem them necessary, may include an MRI of the brain and spine to rule out lesions or demylination
      Steve

Comment

Diagnosis isn't necessarily a fast process, unfortunately. It depends on your symptoms, blood tests (the doctor will try to rule out lyme and a few other diseases), a LP if you have one (spinal tap) and what your MRIs look like. You may have the symptoms doctors need to make the diagnosis right away. Some people take a few years to show symptoms.

Technically to be diagnosed, you have to meet diagnostic criteria: www.nationalmssociety.org/download.aspx?id=215.

Comment

I started having sypmtoms in March of 2011 and was diagnosed by May. Its different for everyone! I had full MRI scan of my brain, c-spine, and t-spine, and that is where my only lesion is.. Thats when the sent me to the MS Neuro, who scheduled bloodwork, and a LP. within a few weeks, i had my diagnosis.

They have so many medications now, that your outlook is very good! especially if they catch it quickly. I am only 30 and I am a single mother of a 9 year old and a 7 year old.

As long as you have a good support system and a loving family, you will be fine. I know its scary, trust me, but you will make it through just fine!

good luck with the tests, and keep us updated.

Comment

Be sure that you take a symptom list with you. If you are not keeping a journal you should start one.

Indicate date/s of the symptom, what the symptom was, where it was located, and how long it lasted.

Take a list of questions with you. I posted on another thread a list of questions I took with me for my appointment.

If you are interested, I think you can search for posts by me, cosake. Otherwise, let me know and I will find it and post a link here for you.

Comment

I'm sorry you are scared. It's normal, though.

If your doc wants a lumbar puncture, be sure to get some blood drawn to replace the spinal fluid. It's called a Blood Patch.
              This is to help prevent terrible headaches that can occur afterwards.
              http://www.drugs.com/cg/lumbar-puncture.html

I had that done after an MRI that showed lesions in my brain. It amazed me that I had them because I too, never got sick.
              My immune system was always in overdrive, which is part of the problem.
              http://immunedisorders.homestead.com/autoimmune.html

My Dr had an Evoked Potentials test done on me, too. I think it didn't show much, but I was only 24.
              The numerous lesions in my brain confirmed my diagnosis.

August is a hot month and many people have flares (exacerbations) during this month. I did and was diagnosed in August.
              I've learned to take it easy during this month.

I don't want you to have MS. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
              Having MS for over 20 years hasn't ruined my marriage. I am still very in love with a wonderful guy.

MS means I choose activities more carefully and I plan on moments to rest and re-charge my battery.
              It's a life changer, but believe me, life can be wonderful even with MS!

Comment

Thank you all so much for responding to me. It's nice to know that I have people out there to turn to that will be supportive! May God bless us all!!

Comment

Working...
                X