Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M.S. Magazines:Love 'em or hate 'em?(long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M.S. Magazines:Love 'em or hate 'em?(long)

OK, I don't think anyone has posted about this one lately...

Yesterday I got one of my M.S. Magazines, "Momentum" (complimentary to persons with M.S.!) in the mail. Once again, I read it with mixed emotions.

The first M.S. magazine I ever saw was in my neurologist's waiting room. I had been unwell for some time and getting my final tests for M.S. and scared to death. Needless to say, the ads for handicap equipment and nursing care in the back of the magazine really freaked me out! I got through one article about how you can improve your appearance when you have M.S. by using some new strategies for getting yourself dressed, and if you were bedridden, you could try new bedsheets (EEEK!)!

Later on, as I settled into my diagnosis, I found the magazines a relief. In a world where M.S. seems to be barely mentioned, here were entire magazines and pamphlets devoted to it! I would see a new M.S. magazine in the mailbox, and eagerly await good news...would there be a cure announced this month?? Well, no, not yet, but certainly a lot of good things were in the works. My enthusiasm began to wane...

Now that I am a veteran of this disease, it doesn't take long before the new M.S. magazine winds up in the circular file (along with all my catalogues that have bred over the years for over-priced, cheaply-made clothing!). I no longer read each and every article and study every word, but quickly glance through it and size it up: no cure, but hope is on the way, people dressed in athletic gear...no they didn't have M.S. themselves, but they were kind enough to take an interest in helping us, etc., etc. Same 'ol, same 'ol.

I guess my attitude towards this disease has reflected my attitude towards the magazines that accompany it. I continue to hope for a cure, but I know it isn't happenin' any time soon. I keep wishing that one of those healthy robust people in the photos is an M.S.er, but that is a rare occurence. While the literature tries to put a positive spin on words like "progressive" or "palliative", this disease is what it is, a MonSter. Do I need a magazine to remind me of that fact? It must be tough to write for a magazine about M.S. and stay positive!

In the final analysis, at least I'm "informed" about an orphan disease that is rarely reported on in the mainstream media and one in which information and research results trickle in slowly. I know it's not the magazines' fault!

So how do you all feel about these publications? I guess in a word, my answer would be, MIXED.!
    Tawanda

different stages of life

Hi,
    I don't know about the models for the athletic clothing, whether they are deceptive or not, but I think the magazines are just that - magazines. They are free to us because someone pays to produce them, and to sell products through them. They try to include articles that have relevance to people with MS, and as you've found, at different stages in your disease progression you will react differently to the articles and the advertisements.

MS is not a "one size fits all" diagnosis. No two of us are alike. And none of us is constant. We are ever-changing, and so a hard target audience to please.
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Magazines

I also subscribed to a magazine that I found in my neuros office. I think the name is 'Neurology Today'. I'll look for it later to make sure that's correct. Sorry, I'm tired today; had a bad night.

I like the magazine, though it is not dedicated to MS but other neurological diseases as well. Never the less the articles are interesting and often feature people you recognize.

All the neuro type diseases share some symptoms with those of us with MS so you find that you do get some information and a feeling you are not alone.

It's also free so what can you lose!

Diane
      You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I think they are ok but thats about it. The articles really aren't technical enough for my taste and I also hate all the advertising reminders that this miserable disease is likely to render me bedridden at some point.

On the plus side I do like that there is obviously enough money and interest in MS to continue producing the magazines.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Thank you for the tips on the magazines. I spend so much time on the computer that sometimes it is nice to have some hard reading material.

I had never heard of the MS Quarterly mag before. I knew about Momentum but didn't know that it was free.

Thanks !

Comment

Depressing

Its great that some people can do the things they show. I know that it is supposed to be motivational. But for me its just depressing as I have to use all the energy I have just to think about attempting those things. I don't know if I am making myself clear or not. I just get depressed wanting to do those things.
            Dave

Comment

I know of three people in the latest edition of Momentum. Yes, they all have MS. One I know was diagnosed as a teen and she has had a very rough MS course. I think before you judge the people in the magazine, remember that everyone is different. We don't know what it takes for all of them to lead their lives just like I don't know what it takes for you to get thru every day. The bottom line is we all have MS. I think assuming that all the people in the magazine don't have MS is wrong.

I will probably catch a lot of flack for this post. I was diagnosed in 2003 in case you're wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by marybenes View Post
                I will probably catch a lot of flack for this post. .

Good points. Why do you think anyone would give you flack?
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

Not the magazines.... The meetings

Seem to always have people that do extraordinary things I couldn't do even before I was dxd ( at 50)
                  techie
                  Another pirated saying:
                  Half of life is if.
                  When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
                  Dogs Rule!

Comment

Boo M.S.

Originally posted by techie View Post
                    Seem to always have people that do extraordinary things I couldn't do even before I was dxd ( at 50)
                    techie
                    I guess we all view these magazines differently. I don't see ENOUGH MSers doing extraordinary things. In fact, I seem to see notice just the opposite. The persons I read about always seem to be a FORMER something-or-other, and this depresses me. Even Montel finally lost his show. I am probably never going to be active in the workforce again unless a cure comes along, and these articles just remind me of that. Usually when I see someone in biking gear or running a marathon, it is NOT an MSer, but a good samaritan biking,cycling, running, etc. FOR us. I want to be the good samaritan instead of the charity-case, darn it!

You can look at the glass half-full or half-empty. Take the fact that MSWorld is celebrating it's 15th birthday, for instance. Yes, it's terrific to have a place to network and learn, but sad that this disease remains on the books and it looks like it's going to for the next 15 years as well...

Again, not the magazine's fault that there is M.S. in the world, and yeah, true, it is free!
                    Tawanda

Comment

I really don't need a MS magazine - there's plenty of info on the Internet. Probably good for people who aren't so hot with computers.
                      I'm with you, Tawanda. My first contact with the MS society after I was diagnosed was a where-to-buy-wheelchairs brochure. That scared me to death. Thirteen years on, it wouldn't worry me. Quite useful, probably.
                      Love the 'try new sheets' to improve your looks. Who knew?

Comment

Last year, there were nine people who live with MS who biked in Oklahoma's Bike MS. It takes a lot of hard work and training to be able to do that. This will be my 5th year. If we don't have our fellow citizens that don't live with MS help raise awareness for us, who will? A lot of the people I know who bike or walk have a personal connection to MS. I'm grateful to everyone who helps raise awareness for MS.

Comment

Love the M.S. Advocates, hate the M.S.!

Originally posted by marybenes View Post
                          Last year, there were nine people who live with MS who biked in Oklahoma's Bike MS. It takes a lot of hard work and training to be able to do that. This will be my 5th year. If we don't have our fellow citizens that don't live with MS help raise awareness for us, who will? A lot of the people I know who bike or walk have a personal connection to MS. I'm grateful to everyone who helps raise awareness for MS.
                          Hey marybenes...I was worried I would offend some people with my post. Yes, THANK GOD for those who bike or walk for us to raise awareness. This is a blessed group of people. It includes several of my neices and nephews who originally got active in honor of their grandmother, my mother, who had M.S. Heck, I am even greatful for that group at my local YMCA who bike for M.S. and any other cause not so much for the cause as for getting a chance to run, bike, etc.! They're still putting the cause out there, even if they don't know what M.S. is!

Glad to hear that you were in the minority pack of MSers who can still participate in such strenuous races. I mean, if we MSers were the majority of the participants, this disease obviously wouldn't be bad enough to warrent such events in the first place.

I'm not dissing the M.S. Advocates by any means. I sure would like to be one of them and race in honor of my mother rather than be a person with M.S. and have people racing for me. Love the Advocates, hate the disease.
                          Tawanda

Comment

BTW...

Has anyone else ever noticed that the healthiest, robust MSers featured in these publications are in the DMD ads?! Just askin'!
                            Tawanda

Comment

Checked to verify.

I'd mentioned in my previous post that I'd checked to make sure I posted the name of my magazine correctly.

Neurology Today is the title. It's a good read and you can check it out online if you google it.

Diane
                              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
                              X