Vertigo Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertigo Help

My wife is 17 weeks pregnant and has had a bad ordeal with vertigo for the last three weeks. She’s had to go to the ER five times because of dehydration from vomiting. Her longest vertigo spell lasted seven hours. The only thing that seems to stop her spells is an iv treatment of Phenergan. She had other MS symptoms prior to this like some numbness on one side of her body including her face about a couple of months ago. We figured she was having a tiny relapse but didn’t want to do a steroid treatment because she was still in her first trimester.

She gets really dizzy when she tilts her head to either side or up down so we thought it might be BPPV at first. I took her to a physical therapist to try the Epley maneuver a couple of weeks ago. The first time seemed to ease some of her symptoms. We thought one more treatment would help her even more, but it actually triggered another vertigo spell. We ended up having to take her to the ER again for Phenergan.

After about three weeks, her neurologist decided it must be her MS. She’s now on her second day of a three day infusion of Solu-Medrol. We’re hoping that this helps her.

I was wondering how quickly she can expect the steroids to work on her vertigo if it’s MS related. We have an appointment with an ENT next week as a backup if the steroids do not work.

Thanks,

Bryan

I don't have alot of experience with vertigo. I did see an ENT with a case of dizzyness and hearing loss. I think consulting with an ENT is a good idea, many specialize in vestibular disorders and so can be the most experienced in this area.

As for the IV steroids, some get relief right away, others several days to weeks. No easy answer. Sounds like you are doing all the right things.

I had a case of vertigo as a child that lasted a month or so and went away as quickly as it came. Hope your wife's case remits soon!

Comment

Hello Bryan, and welcome to MSWorld!

I'm so sorry your wife is experiencing vertigo, especially during pregnancy, which I suppose rules out some of the medications (such as meclizine and scopalamine) often used to treat the condition.

I'm slowly recovering from a bout of BPPV myself, which I've been self-treating with the Epley maneuver + meclizine. The first time I had BPPV the problem was clearly on my right side, and one Epley maneuver resolved it completely. This time, however (8 years later), it's been harder to pinpoint and I've needed to repeat the maneuver several times.

One thing I did learn recently is that if it is a case of hard-to-treat BPPV, staying very well hydrated may help speed resolution. In fact, maintaining good hydration all the time is a good idea since BPPV can recur. I don't know if any of that will apply to your wife's situation, but I just thought I'd pass it on.

I hope your wife feels better very soon!

Comment

Thank you for the responses. My wife finished her steroid treatment two days ago. Yesterday and today she's felt really dizzy and pretty much had to lie on her back non stop. She doesn't feel like her surrounds are spinning, just out of focus and shifting. I've read that steroids can cause dizziness but she's never had that symptom before with previous treatments. Could this be the solu-medrol, BPPV, or part of the relapse we think she's going through? We're still going to see an ENT next week.

Comment

AW YES.. VERTIGO!! I HAVE HAD SPILLS,FLARES,AND JUST PLAIN VERTIGO FOR MONTHS!! THE ONLY THING THAT HELPS ME IS ANTIVERT.. BUT WITH YOUR WIFE BEING PREGNANT IM NOT SURE IF THEY WILL RX IT TO HER OR NOT.. BUT IT DOES WORK WONDERS.. IT BRING MY LEVEL OF DIZZINESS/VERTIGO DOWN THE A SLIGHT LIGHT HEADEDNESS.
          RRMS-2007-2012
          SPMS-2012
          Copaxone Feb,2007- 2008
          currently on Rebif

Comment

I don't know how helpful it will be, but I found a dizziness & vertigo support group online:

http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Dizzi.../support-group

Maybe there will be some useful info there for you. I certainly hope so!

Comment

Originally posted by Alyms79 View Post
              AW YES.. VERTIGO!! I HAVE HAD SPILLS,FLARES,AND JUST PLAIN VERTIGO FOR MONTHS!! THE ONLY THING THAT HELPS ME IS ANTIVERT.. BUT WITH YOUR WIFE BEING PREGNANT IM NOT SURE IF THEY WILL RX IT TO HER OR NOT.. BUT IT DOES WORK WONDERS.. IT BRING MY LEVEL OF DIZZINESS/VERTIGO DOWN THE A SLIGHT LIGHT HEADEDNESS.
              She takes Meclizine and Compazine every eight hours. Her doctor said they were okay to take. They keep her out of the hospital as long as she keeps her head straight.

Comment

That is exactly how I feel. Unfocused, like I am on cloud nine. Not really dizzy and the room does not spin. I am also unbalanced. I had iv solumedrol twice for it. 1st time it worked for about a week, then all came back. Had steroids again, longer. Has not remitted yet. has been 2 weeks since second bout of steroids. Doc sending me today for testing to r/o inner ear probl;ems. Good luck to your wife, I know how she feels. Keep hoping each day I wake up is the day it is gone.

Comment

Vertigo

armyofb--Has anyone looked at your wife's eyes? Do it yourself. Have her move her eyes from side to side and up and down. If she has nustagmus (lots of info online) you will see tiny beats of her eyes--either horizontial or lateral. This can be caused by an active lession on the brain stem. It is horrible--resulting in dizziness, vomiting and plain misery. I have had both--nystagmus and BPPV. With BPPV you are still dizzy when you lie down. This is usually how the distinction is made.

My first episode--I saw the ENT--and he guessed I had a virus. Never looked at my eyes. This has been going on a little long for a virus.

The steroids should help if she has an active lesion. My best to you both.

Comment

Originally posted by wrest53 View Post
                    armyofb--Has anyone looked at your wife's eyes? Do it yourself. Have her move her eyes from side to side and up and down. If she has nustagmus (lots of info online) you will see tiny beats of her eyes--either horizontial or lateral. This can be caused by an active lession on the brain stem. It is horrible--resulting in dizziness, vomiting and plain misery. I have had both--nystagmus and BPPV. With BPPV you are still dizzy when you lie down. This is usually how the distinction is made.

My first episode--I saw the ENT--and he guessed I had a virus. Never looked at my eyes. This has been going on a little long for a virus.

The steroids should help if she has an active lesion. My best to you both.
                    She has nystagmus in both eyes when she feels dizzy. It's side to side. We thought it might be BPPV as well but I heard with BPPV the spells don't last more than a few minutes. She had one that lasted seven hours and her head was straight.

When she did the Epley maneuver with a therapist, she was dizzy in each position but it went away after 30 seconds. The first time she felt like it helped her. The second time she became more dizzy when she sat up straight and the dizziness didn't go away until I got her an IV of Phenergan from the hospital.

She feels dizzy in every position where her head is not straight. Lying on her back does not bother her.

Comment

We went an saw an ENT today which did not provide a lot of answers. They did an audio test on her and determined that there was no hearing loss. He couldn't tell us what kind of vertigo she had although he did bring up Meniere's Disease which I had not thought of previously. The doctor said it could be a number of things causing her veritigo including her MS or pregnancy. I'm hoping the steroids kick in soon and she starts feeling better.

Comment

Vertigo

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                        Hello Bryan, and welcome to MSWorld!

I'm so sorry your wife is experiencing vertigo, especially during pregnancy, which I suppose rules out some of the medications (such as meclizine and scopalamine) often used to treat the condition.

I'm slowly recovering from a bout of BPPV myself, which I've been self-treating with the Epley maneuver + meclizine. The first time I had BPPV the problem was clearly on my right side, and one Epley maneuver resolved it completely. This time, however (8 years later), it's been harder to pinpoint and I've needed to repeat the maneuver several times.

One thing I did learn recently is that if it is a case of hard-to-treat BPPV, staying very well hydrated may help speed resolution. In fact, maintaining good hydration all the time is a good idea since BPPV can recur. I don't know if any of that will apply to your wife's situation, but I just thought I'd pass it on.

I hope your wife feels better very soon!
                        Scopalimine is a neurotoxin used for the treatment of paralysis in patients with polio. I take meclazine, it's over the counter for motion sickness. It helps but makes me sleepy. I know I forgot to take it when I'm so dizzy when I wake up I can't move. I take it before I go to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by centerles3 View Post
                          Scopalimine is a neurotoxin used for the treatment of paralysis in patients with polio.
                          True; but just to be clear, it's also used to relieve nausea, vomiting, and dizziness associated with motion sickness (BPPV).

Comment

Working...
                          X