Dad's cognitive issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dad's cognitive issues

I dont know how much of this is related to MS or possibly Dad's age. He is 71. He will ask the same question over & over again. He will forget the word or name of something when he is talking. I am pretty confident that is MS.

But he has forgotten my name & even his own name. He said that one day when I wasnt here he couldnt remember his name for the life of him. He sat there trying his best to remember. He finally realized that he had a license & could look at that. So he got it out to see what his name was.

He forgets my name, nieces, nephews. Today he was talking about his favorite nephew. My Dad thinks the sun sets & rises on this man. He said what his name Ang? The one that blah, blah, blah?

Is this an MS thing?

It could be MS, as I often forget words, which I've done a lot this week during the class I'm teaching.

But forgetting his own name may be something else, like early Alzheimers. You might want to get him evaluated, just to be sure.

I'm sorry for what you are going through. It's never easy dealing with a parent's decline. I went through it with my mom six years ago. It was heartbreaking.

Big hugs and prayers for you and your dad.

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

MS can cause cognitive issues, but there are a lot of other things that can cause it, too. The first thing I would do is get him evaluated for Alzheimer's. He sounds very similar to what my grandmother was like before she was diagnosed. There are also other types of dementia as well. It may be MS related, but it may not be.
      Diagnosis: May, 2008
      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Sounds like it could be MS-related. Dementia in late-stage MS looks a lot like Alzheimer's.

Or it could actually be Alzheimer's, or a combination of the two.

Or another form of dementia altogether. It can be hard to sort out.

Whatever the cause, though, depression could be making him worse. Has he been evaluated for that? Depression in the elderly tends to go undiagnosed, and anti-depressant medications (if appropriate) can bring about a significant improvement in functioning.

Sorry you--and your dad--are having to go through this.

Comment

He is on Effexor. He is also going to be undergoing a psyche eval for admission into a nursing home. It was mentioned that he may need his anti depressant meds upped.

Comment

As someone who has had 2 grandparents (maternal and faternal) have issues with memory (one with Alzheimer's and the other with dementia).

My first symptoms were cognitive for MS. However with his age... I would suggest you get him test for Alzheimer's. My grandma, whenever I would see her (early stages), would ask "are you in school? are you doing good? " REPEATEDLY.

It was saddening and nerve racking to continually answer. There are meds that slow down the progression. Get him seen asap.

Comment

Working...
            X