Active lesion while on copaxone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Active lesion while on copaxone

So I started getting tingling in my feet two weeks ago. It's now in my legs and torso. My DR sent me for an MRI and had her nurse call the day they got the results. She said I have 2 new lesions and one is active. I have to go in for steroids today grrrr!

My question is, Does this mean they will take me off copaxone and try one of the other crab drugs?
    I've been on copaxone for two years with no flare up till now.

The Disease Modifying Drugs (DMDs) such as Copaxone are meant to help decrease lesion load, decrease the amount and severity of relapses and slow progression.

This does not mean you will not get any new lesions or relapses. Will your doctor switch you to a different DMD? Some neuro's do and some don't.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

As Snoopy said, all these drugs do is slow progression and hopefully reduce the number of new lesions. It is very possible to get new lesions while on the meds.

From what I've read on here, different neuros have different opinions about how many lesions/flares in a given time is acceptable with a given med, so it's really a question for your doc.

So sorry to hear about your flare!

Comment

As the others said above. These drugs are only capable of a 30% reduction in the number of flares. That leaves a great big 70% still in play.
        With any luck, Copaxone will slow the progression, and maybe the flares won't be as bad as they otherwise would have been.
        It takes months to get the drug working to full effect.
        And yes, it sucks, all those needles, and you still get to enjoy a flare.
        But there's nothing much better available. Yet. (Hopefully.)

Comment

Thanks everybody,
          still haven't got in for my steroid treatment yet. Not in a big rush either. The numbness and tingling have gotten worse, its the whole left side of my body now. Its more tolerable than my last episode of double vision.(scary)
          Dont know what my neuro wants to do yet.

Comment

Working...
          X