How long after symptoms started...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long after symptoms started...

...did you have to stop working? I don't mean a diagnosis, but whenever your symptoms actually started. If you still work, how long has it been since your symptoms started and how are you holding up?

My symptoms started in 2002 with fatigue during the summer. I then had various random symptoms off and on until 2006 when everything hit the fan.

In the past five years, I've battled fatigue, muscle weakness, nerve pain, muscle spasms, brain fog, memory loss, etc. At one point, I had to walk on a cane, but my arm muscles were so weak, even that was difficult.

I still have no diagnosis, though I think I'm getting closer. I started out with no brain lesions and now have five and a diagnosis of optic neuritis from a neuro-ophthalmologist.

And I'm still working. Right now, I'm teaching night classes at a college from 5 to 9:30 p.m. four nights a week (and I'm considered full-time because I do a lot of my work from home.) But some semesters, like the next one starting in August, I work from 8 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. two days a week and my usual 5 to 9:30 p.m. the other two nights a week. Those are very long days and wear me out! But I plan to work as long as I can. I love my job and would be heartbroken if I couldn't teach.
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I started having symptoms in 1981 right after I graduated from college. After numerous diagnosis of every autoimmune out there I was finally diagnosed with MS in 2006. In 2010 I stopped working. After raising 3 kids, while completing an MBA and dragging myself to work for 30 years I finally had enough. Actually the last 15 years were the toughest. When my youngest started her last year of college and I no longer needed to work for tuition money I decided it was time.

My doctor at the time of my diagnosis in 2006 tried to get me to go out on disability because she felt I had already passed into a progressive stage and I was going downhill rapidly. I was stubborn and just kept going saying MS won't get me. The day I walked out of my office for the last time was one of the best things I have ever done for myself.

Comment

I changed careers...........and did so because of the symptoms. I could not perform in my chosen career. That was 4 years ago. 1 year ago I was diagnosed and then all the symptoms made sense.

I now have a much less cerebral/stressful job but work twice as hard!!!! I won't quit working. I just find other work!
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

My first symtoms were in 97 and I kept working untill 08 and went on disability but not for MS, the weird thing was last place I worked was a foundry probally the worst place in the world for a MS'er, Now a lot of the symtoms that got me disability relate right back to MS, my disabilty lawyer was going for the MS for disability but my mental function kind of sealed the deal as they were just starting on MS symtoms when the judge stopped the proceedings and made a bench decision to put me on disability, so not sure what he was thinking, but I sure wish I could work as I was a journeyman machine repairman almost my whole life, I still wonder how long I could've worked if it was in a better enviroment without the heat

Comment

I was dx in 2002. I experienced many sx then, numb from waist down, ms hug, stumbled on words, left side face numb etc. Doc said I had 3 seperate flares.

I managed some how to work full time through it all, even with extreme fatigue.

Every sx remitted over a period of 3-4 months. Was sx free till 2009, when ON left me with partial vision in my rt eye. Was aoff work a week and a half.

And now I am having my worst flare to date. It has been about 5 weeks, and I am off work. Have had steroids and still not much improvement. I am unbalanced, and have brain fog, which is what is keeping me at home. Can;'t focus, therefore not comfortable to drive.

Praying everyday to see some inprovement, because I want/need to get back to my full time job.trying to be optimistic that this will remit too.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Was diagnosed 10 years ago with symptoms for 5 years before that. I am still working but may have to give it up fairly soon. Too many issues.
              Webbles

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down (much)

Comment

I was diagnosed in 2003, had symptoms for years before that...especially since mid 1990's, just nobody thought to look beyond each individual symptomtill 2003.

Anyhoo, I still work, full-time, but from home. I could not take the confusion of an office (too much distraction...I get a little "Walmart" syndromish when I go in due to sensory overload.)

Also I don't think I could get myself up and get out the door everyday if I had to go into the office...too exhausting.

The company I work for actually has several employees working part time from home, I think I'm the only full time one.

Another reason they don't mind having me at home...I slur, and my employers don't want me answering the phone because a customer might think they've got a "drunk" working for them, LOL.

So my work is completely computer based, and I love it. I talk or email my co-workers during the day. But if my job depended on me going into the office, or working at the office, I don't think I'd be working.

Comment

I began having sx about 13-14 yrs ago, dx 3 yrs ago, work full-time in an office. My job is very flexible with little stress so I should be able to continue for quite some time (my sx are all invisible).
                  DX 10/2008
                  Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                  Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                  Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

As you can see everyone is different.

I for one couldn't work for awhile before I even got my DX. and it's just gotten worse.

I wish I could I loved working but can't make it half a day at home.

Stay strong and work as much as you can and listen to your body.
                    Dx MS Aug 2010 (after 2 years of searching)
                    Started Copaxone Aug. 2010

Comment

My first sxs were in the winter of '88-'89.
                      Didn't get my dx until '99. (RRMS)

Dx w/ SPMS in '06 and worked until '08.
                      Had to quit demanding work and went on disability.

So, work history with MS about 20 years.

How about you, Luongo? How are you doing?
                      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

still working

I was diagnosed in 2004 with symptoms since '99. I worked full time until late 2006. I have been working part time since 2007 after mat leave. I do find it difficult some days since I have a 20 min drive to and from work but my job is not too stressful. I will continue to work as long as my body and mind can handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                          How about you, Luongo? How are you doing?
                          Well, I'm fine now. My symptoms are extremely mild (*knocks on 800 pieces of wood*) although they occasionally resurface and then I get depressed, so it's more of a mental obstacle right now.

There was a thread a while back that sparked this question... it was a study that said 90% of people with MS stop working within 10 years of diagnosis or something.... I'M STILL IN COLLEGE! I'll be retired before I even get a damn job! I'm only 25 for God's sakes... so I was kinda probing to see other's experiences.

Comment

Everyone is different.

I'm still not officially diagnosed, but we're pretty sure its MS. My first symptoms were 6-7 years ago. I'm 31 years old.

I stopped working full-time about a year or so ago. I ran my own business as a photographer, so my situation is a little different. Its one thing to work a 9-5 job, another thing to run a business that has no hours.

Most of the reason why I can't work is my cognitive issues- my short term memory is about 1-10% of what a normal person my age and intellectual level is. I also have problems with multitasking, etc.

My physical issues aren't too bad at the moment- my body just isn't reliable on a day-to-day basis. Between the cognitive & the physical stuff, I'm at home.

I still do as much photography as I can, and I volunteer at my children's schools and with some other things, so I keep myself busy when I'm not taking care of the kids and home. Something I've found is important to my own self-worth.

I think there are ways of working around many of the physical stuff with many careers. Even when I lost my balance, I continued to work. I took time off when it was at its worst, but once I learned to work with it and walked with my cane, it became manageable. It wasn't until it all got to be too much (the physical & the cognitive) that I had to stop.
                            Erin

doing the Limbo since 2005

Comment

Working...
                            X