What's MS sx, and what's not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's MS sx, and what's not?

I know this is an old question, and I guess I know there is no answer. My first episode with MS was 31 years ago, at which time I was not diagnosed, but MS was a possible dx. My next true exacerbation was 29 years later, although now in retrospect I recognize a lot of MS symptoms throughout the years.

However, sometimes it's hard to know if a symptom is from MS, or just from being an aging woman. For example, when I wake up in the morning, the bottoms of my feet hurt to walk on, and my legs are very stiff. That improves after walking a bit. After sitting for more than 15 minutes, when I stand, my legs are stiff. After walking a bit, they loosen up. Is that MS?
    I have a LOT of hot flashes, and sweats. Is that just menopause (been doing this for years!), or is it MS?
    I get leg and foot cramps, mostly at night, but sometimes during the day--is that my MS?
    If I lay down on my back, with my head on firm pillow with pressure on the lower part of my head, my vision will sometimes blur for a little while: is that my MS?
    My stamina is not what is used to be, and I get tired more easily: is that my MS, or just aging?
    I have also had two serious surgeries in the past year and a half, which I think contributes to my overall stamina and strength (or lack thereof).
    I dont know if anyone has any answers. I guess maybe I am just venting? Anyone?

Originally posted by lemstar View Post
    I know this is an old question, and I guess I know there is no answer. My first episode with MS was 31 years ago, at which time I was not diagnosed, but MS was a possible dx. My next true exacerbation was 29 years later, although now in retrospect I recognize a lot of MS symptoms throughout the years.

However, sometimes it's hard to know if a symptom is from MS, or just from being an aging woman. For example, when I wake up in the morning, the bottoms of my feet hurt to walk on, and my legs are very stiff. That improves after walking a bit. After sitting for more than 15 minutes, when I stand, my legs are stiff. After walking a bit, they loosen up. Is that MS?
    I have a LOT of hot flashes, and sweats. Is that just menopause (been doing this for years!), or is it MS?
    I get leg and foot cramps, mostly at night, but sometimes during the day--is that my MS?
    If I lay down on my back, with my head on firm pillow with pressure on the lower part of my head, my vision will sometimes blur for a little while: is that my MS?
    My stamina is not what is used to be, and I get tired more easily: is that my MS, or just aging?
    I have also had two serious surgeries in the past year and a half, which I think contributes to my overall stamina and strength (or lack thereof).
    I dont know if anyone has any answers. I guess maybe I am just venting? Anyone?
    -----
    I may be about to answer a few questions
    1. stiffness and pain in the legs and feet that is relieved by walk (may be age or by leaving a somewhat sedimentary lifestyle)
    With my MS the stiffness and pain don't go away . Walk is almost impossible to do these days.
    2.Cramping is legs at night (might be MS or a circulation problem)
    3.Hot sweats probably the menopause or could be an infection (I'm post menopause and still get them)
    4.Now pressure in the back of head and blurred vision Now that very will may be from the MS and I'd call the neuro to report it. There also a possibility that its a tension head to but I'd still make the call
    fatugue is a symptom of MS but also many other thing may be factoring to in .
    When ever your concerned about the what if's its best to call a nurse hotline or your doctor just to be sure. MS is different with everyone regardless of the age. Not everything is caused by the MS and it good that your asking questions.

Hugs
    D.

Comment

First of all, I am sorry for all your struggles. And like you, I find this all so confusing. I too have had symptoms long time thought it was arthritis as I was TOO young then for stiff legs. Then I do have a messed up spine (spinal stenosis) so yes its confusing what is what. Which doc to tell what to..LOL

But DO NOT assume everything is AGE. Getting older is not supposed to be stiffness/memory etc..those can be myths of simply years of accumalated poor diet, health.

I too wake up with such stiffness/pain but my meds and getting moving again helps. However, w/o meds, I could not sit, walk or lay w/o lots of pain/stiffness.

Have you seen your doc about this? Maybe a med adjustment, PT, massages..other kinds of treatments would help.

AND you will not hear much about needing MINERALS, esp potassium and magnesium, from docs..but trust me we lack good mineral sources in our Amer diet and esp need it now with MS.

Best to you.. continued healing & wellness~

Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
      X