This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The MS Diet

Has anyone had any luck with the MS Diet? I have seen several books online that give dietary guidelines to help with MS. Just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Which MS diet? There are several; the major ones are:

The Swank Diet
    The Best Bet Diet
    The MS Recovery Diet
    The Overcoming MS Diet

Two more that are thought to have benefit for MSers, but are not designed specifically for MS:

The Paleolithic Diet
    The Anti-Inflammatory Diet (several versions)

My own diet is a hybrid. I eat no gluten or dairy products, but do eat a modest amount of legumes. I follow anti-inflammatory principles in my food selections. I avoid saturated fats (except for coconut oil, which is in a class of its own), polyunsaturated fats, and trans fats. (I also eat no flesh foods or eggs, but that's for ethical/spiritual rather than health reasons.)

There's no way of telling how I'd be doing if I hadn't changed my diet, so I can't say if the change has helped with my MS...other than that I feel noticeably better without gluten and dairy products).

You'll find extensive discussion of MS diets on the Tara's Nutrition & Supplement forum. We do have members who are following each approach.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Hope this helped!

Comment

It's really hard to gauge results when on one of these MS Diets. I have been on a typical MS diet...no Dairy, no Sweets, no Saturated Fats. It's been about 8 months and I do feel better but in addition to the diet, I am doing other positive lifestyle changes so it's hard to say how much is from the diet. Regardless, a proper diet is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

My mistake was taking it too far to the extreme. I lost way too much weight. Am starting to gain some back by allowing up to 10 grams of Sat. Fat a day instead of zero. The Swank Diet say's anything under 20 grams will provide benefit.

Comment

I am thinking about trying the Swank diet, but think it is a little too extreme for me.....lol. I really, really like diary.
        Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
        ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Anyone who's interested in discussing MS diets further is welcome to visit the Tara's Nutrition & Supplement Notebook forum!

http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Comment

Working...
          X