Foot drop condition and hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foot drop condition and hands

I think I might have the beginnings of foot drop and I have a question for those of you who have it. The reason I think I’m developing it is that I’ve been tripping on things like slightly uneven sidewalks and small things that stick up like door thresholds. When climbing stairs, my right foot sometimes doesn’t clear the steps without bumping or scraping the lip of the step.

My question is can this general condition affect the arm and hand too? I’ve been having slight issues with my right hand. When I reach for things sometimes my fingers run into what I need to grab. I know that the dexterity is not quite what it used to be in that hand, and I think my right side is being affected by spasticity. Is there something that could be called ‘hand drop’?
    Portia

Hi Portia

I have foot drop, and coincidently at my neuro appointment on Wednesday, was officially diagnosed with having "wrist drop". I had never really heard of that term before.

My arm and hand have been getting progressively worse over the years, with weakness and hand grip problems.

I have been exercising my arm with an arm cycle, and also have someone come over to do range of motion and stretches on my hand and arm.

Unfortunately in my case, the progression hasn't stopped, even with all my efforts.

That's my experience. Any other questions, just ask and I'll be glad to share.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks Koko,
      I just got a new job and 75% of it is data entry and dealing with great mounds of paper. I really need what dexterity is left, and I worry when I reach for a pen and end up bumping it across the desk instead of picking it up. I've never heard of wrist drop either. I wonder how many people have this problem.
      Portia

Comment

Portia

I think I might have the beginnings of foot drop and I have a question for those of you who have it. The reason I think I’m developing it is that I’ve been tripping on things like slightly uneven sidewalks and small things that stick up like door thresholds. When climbing stairs, my right foot sometimes doesn’t clear the steps without bumping or scraping the lip of the step.
        Your symptoms do sound like the start of foot drop. I had the same things happen.

I got an AFO for the foot drop. What a huge help for walking that has been over the years.

I was tripping and falling, and I was starting to use alot more energy walking because I was trying to lift my leg high enough so that my foot would clear the ground.

Take care,
        KoKo
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Portia

I just got a new job and 75% of it is data entry and dealing with great mounds of paper. I really need what dexterity is left, and I worry when I reach for a pen and end up bumping it across the desk instead of picking it up. I've never heard of wrist drop either.
          Gosh, it sounds like with that job you need the full use of your hands, for sure.

It might be best to have your doctor check out your wrist. Maybe carpal tunnel or something else besides MS? You never know.....

Also, maybe Susan in the Occcupational Therapy Forum might have some suggestions.

Take care,
          KoKo

Comment

I get foot drop on and off all the time. I'm very glad that it goes away but hate that it happens so much.

My wrist do the same but the doctor/Neuro has never said anything about "hand drop" but it sounds like what I have on and off too.

Hope it gets better.
            Dx MS Aug 2010 (after 2 years of searching)
            Started Copaxone Aug. 2010

Comment

Portia,

I don't know if the terms we are using are correct but Yes, this condition can affect the hand / wrist drop. My foot drop seems to have plateaued somewhat lately (gratefully).

I've been taught a stretching technique in yoga that has helped with the hand/wrist problem.

If you can kneel do so with knees at right angle to floor, hands on floor.

Place hands directly in front of knees then turn fingers pointing at knees, I know—Yikes! (direct as one can get).

Then slowly, with hands remaining in that position, flat on floor, s l o w l y recline that your bottom comes to rest on your heels.... and hold position.

This may not come quickly and should NOT be pushed, go only as far as comfortable! But doing a little daily will stretch the muscles in the wrist / arm / fingers / hand, and allow for much more dexterity. I can now sit on heels for a few minutes, when I started I though the instructor was nuts!

Works well for me.

Jer

Comment

Working...
              X