Cognitive Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cognitive Issues

How many people have quit work due to cognitive issues? Were you able to get disability? I am still working full-time but it is taking it's toll on me and I do not feel like I am doing a very good job anymore!

First of all, I am sorry you are struggling. It's hard to know what to do, work or go for disability.

I had an ever growing signs/symptoms from MS and other medical issues that all seemed to collide. BUT I had been makng mistakes at work for years, mostly memory and "blanking out." Thought I was having seizures.

I was having problems with my legs, mostly spasticity getting worse. I was on short term disability from work, unsure if I could return due to the spaciness/memory issues/fatigue too. Then as it looked like I would be out over 3 months, they automically moved me to long term disability and SSDI was applied for. Many companies contract with a company called Allsup who goes after the records and builds a case for SSDI. It ONLY took 4 months!! I was expecting 15 months at the least.

Just know that when you do get your SSDI awarded THAT amt is deducted from your long term insurance benefit.
    Its not a lot of money..trust me.

Take good care, let us know how you're doing ok?

Hugs, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

In the same boat

I am undiagnosed and wondering the same question. If I could solve the fatigue and thinking problem I would be OK. I am a fundraiser and I do a lot of public speaking. The other day I said during a tour of our Aquarium.... "the next tank has a spectacular collection of onions." I got lots of funny looks!!!! I am avoiding complex projects, can't really think my way through the budget (which I have always been a whiz at), and cant' seem to see the big picture which causes me not to tell the right people about things. I'm sure there is a rumor going around about my deteriorating performance - but I'm not sure what if anything I should do about it.

Comment

I can't imagine not working. I work in a less mentally demanding field now and am happy. I make squat for $$ comparatively but enjoy my day.

I think there can be options out there if you think creatively about your skills.

j
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

I worked at a college with student loans. When I realized that I was mixing up numbers (as in switching them around)

I interviewed and was hired at another job. Messing up numbers is just not the thing with the gov. involved. No-one at my interview for the new job told me I'd be working with numbers again. I did my best but between learning new computer programs and dealing with the number issues I just gave up. Again, I had to be really accurate or the company could be penalized.

That was in the fall of 2005. I applied and was awarded SSDI (the first go round but it was stated the cause was weak legs) in Nov. of 09.
          What if trials of this life
          Are Your mercies in disguise?
          "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Working...
          X