Sensory Overload, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sensory Overload, anyone?

I had an experience of total sensory overload yesterday. Everywhere I went was too loud, too busy, too hot, too much stimulation. My ears were sensitive to every sound, all conversations were competing for my attention and it took everything I had to focus on a task at work. I went to the grocery store with my kids after work and when they made announcements over the speaker, I couldn't remember where I was going because my brain could only focus on what the speaker was saying. My ears were ringing too. In addition to that, the tingling in my skin that I usually have, really kicked up to a 10 on a scale of 10. My clothes were irritating, my bedding was irritating, my glasses resting on my nose were giving me a headache, my hair resting on my head was contributing to my headache.

Anyone had such an experience? Today seems to be better, but I sense things are building up like they were yesterday...
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" Reinhold Niebuhr

I'm happy you're doing better today. I have a hard time going to stores if they're busy or big and even close family celebrations have me backing into a corner and out of the path.
    What if trials of this life
    Are Your mercies in disguise?
    "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Wow.. that IS a huge reaction.. so sorry for your struggles.

I cannot be around big crowds, or family events, children playing w/o getting into overload. It hurts my ears but really messes with PROCESSING in the brain.

I cannot go to concerts as sound is too loud and so are the crowds. My speech now gets slurry, stammery (made up that word) and now I seem to be losing my social "skills"..saying the wrong thing..over reacting emotionally, labile..and blah blah blah LOL

Did you tell anyone so they are more aware of WHAT you are going through?

Hugs~my dear, Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I haven't been to Sunday morning church service in months for the same reason, and it's so difficult to explain to fellow church members and to some of my family members.

At our church, we have all-at-one-time audible prayer, praise and worship time (for about 20-30 minutes sometimes), choir songs, songs sung during offering, and a very boisterous preacher for whom the organist backs up while he is preaching. The volume of all of this is quite loud, but the musicians, choir and speakers need it loud so that they can hear themselves as the building is so large. Our church has over 1000 members, and everything is always buzzing around you as you sit through service. By the time we get 20 minutes into the service, my whole body is vibrating from the inside out, and the pain and fatigue that result of the experience is unbelievable.
        It's also disturbing to have this kind of reaction to noise and environmental stimulants. I'm new to this experience, so I can't offer any solutions, but I hope you can find comfort in knowing that someone out here understands your pain and discomfort.

Comment

Thank you for validating that I am not just losing my mind! I have always been pretty sensitive to sound, but since this wonderful journey began, that I know in my heart is MS (no firm dx yet), it has increased 100 fold. Jan, like you said, I can feel myself wanting to shut down. Last night after the Wal Mart visit, I just wanted to get away from my kids, who are great & not the problem at all, and be in my room with it quiet & dark. I didn't want to walk my dog because the breeze hitting my body felt like too much & I didn't want to run into neighbors, which I normally really enjoy. After some quiet time, I did finally go for a walk & spend some time with the kids & my senses calmed down. I still felt some a little overwhelmed but not like I did at work & at the store! And I know what you mean about church...we have 1 organist who is SO loud, I can hardly be in church when he is playing. I need to try to avoid going on to the services he is playing at because it takes away the joy of being in church.

Do you think this is where a lesion is located that it is affecting that nerve? I read online somewhere today that there is normally a nerve that helps filter noise that comes into your ears & if it is affected by MS, it lets in everything & our brains become overwhelmed with the stimuli.
          "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

I am so sorry you are going through this. I have, also, struggled with sensory overload for years.

A cute story about this - Sometimes when I am at family function I have to go to a quiet place for a bit. Last time I did this my 5 yr old. nephew came over and "guarded" me until I felt better. I try to take the blessings and love where I can get them!!

Hugs and Prayers,
            Chele
            Mis-Diagnosed with Parkinson's for 1 year.
            Now being watched and tested for Neurological Movement Disorder, most likely MS.

Comment

Overload

I always have sensory overload. No loud noises, crowds, or fans. Also, no tight or itchy clothing.

Comment

I also get this at family gatherings where there are many cconversations going on at once and alot of noise. I can not concentrate or finish a thought or sentence! I never thought it was the ms.

Comment

I have that problem if I get overheated. My family used to get angry with me (pre-MS dx) because they thought I was ignoring them, or being attitude-y, etc. Now they understand it's frustration on my part because I can't whittle things down to a manageable level.

It's also been worse during relapses. I think during those the sensory problem is partly due to stress (why is this relapse happening? how long? what sx am I going to be stuck with now? etc).

When the weather is nice, my favorite way to relax is just to stand in my backyard and "be". Feel the breeze, listen to the wind rustle the leaves, watch the birds high in the branches or swooping across the yard, see how my garden is changing, smell the cut grass. I've spent an hour just standing/sitting in the grass this way. If I'm really overloaded, I've even been known to stand out there (under an umbrella) in the rain. It is just observation - just flows around, I don't have to process anything.

It's like nature hypnosis or something, clears my head, relaxes my muscles. I highly recommend it, even if you think you're not a nature person. If your backyard doesn't work, look for a nature preserve or a lesser-used park. Turn off your cell phone, don't bring a radio or a book. Just sit in one place, and "be".

Comment

celloyogi - I know what you mean about just being...I like to do that a lot. we moved into town from the country, but we are on a pretty quiet street, so I like to sit on my front porch & just be. No reading, nothing...just watch, listen, breathe, rub my dog with my bare foot...that's it.

Comment

Working...
                    X