Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone walk for exercise? Maybe you can help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone walk for exercise? Maybe you can help?

I have started walking in the mornings with a neighbor. We walk around our circle and have built up to 2 miles a day - 5 days a week.

The past couple of days, my legs are feeling very stiff and achy. It is not pain like sore muscles but it is very uncomfortable and it makes me very tired throughout the day.

I hope this does not keep me from walking because I am getting some great benefits. I have more energy after my walk and I can tell my legs and backside are firming up. AND, my mood has improved and some of my cog fog has lifted.

Has anyone else experienced stiffness after exercise? Is my walking causing this? I DO NOT want to stop walking.

Oh, we walk very early in the mornings so heat is not an issue.

Thanks in advance!!!

It sounds like you might be experiencing spasticity in your legs. We have a thread currently running on the subject; it's stickied at the top of the Medications forum, but I'll put a link to it here for you:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112595

Today's post by rdmc on the second page might be of particular interest to you.

Comment

Yes, extra numbness and tightness after exercise. You might want to incorporate some mild stretching after you walk, and even before you walk.

The other thing I thought of was shin splints. I get them very easily if I start a walking routine (when I am watching over a neighbor's doggie).

Are you wearing a good athletic shoe? Very important to have the right equipment for any activity.

You may want to break up your 5 day routine with an additional rest day. Try two days on, one day off.

Add a protein shake after for better muscle recovery.

Just some ideas for you! I used to run 3 miles a day 5 days a week. I just got off the ice (figure skated 1 1/2 hours today). You should have seem me afterward stumbling down the hall, feet cramping, looking drunk.......thank goodness it doesn't last too long after exercise.

Comment

I was taking aerobics last semester in college and this happened way too often, even up until May. I had to modify what I did or else I always got the TERRIBLE stiff feet and calves the next few days. I could barely walk. My neuro told me my body is still healing (I haven't had a flare since last Oct.) and to take it easy. I could never prevent it, so don't push yourself too hard!

Have you gone through a flare recently? Maybe you could seperate your walk into one mile in the morning and one at night?
        "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power
        is made perfect in weakness." -2 Cor. 12:9

dx 11.23.10 RRMS

Comment

walking is awful

One of the things that started happening to me a few years ago is terrible fatigue and pain after exercise. Once upon a time, exercise was invigorating. Not now. Every inch of me hurts after walking or any other exercise. It isn't sore muscles. I believe it is the fatigue which in turn causes a flu like ache.

However, I'm still in limbo.

Comment

Working...
          X