One of the benefits of short-term memory problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the benefits of short-term memory problems

My short-term memory is a joke. I can't remember anything. I forget appointments, things people tell me, what I was doing, etc.

I have, however, found a benefit from the problem. I can watch the same episode of "Say Yes to the Dress" a week or two later and not remember it. So, it's like watching it for the first time all over again.

Hey, you either laugh about it or you cry about it, and I think I'd rather laugh. (Saves on tissues.)
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Hi Shashi,

I am the same! I can't watch shows that are ongoing stories from week to week because I can't remember the prior shows!

I have four calendars (fridge, purse, google and cell phone) to help me remember EVERYTHING.

I make lists and lists and more lists just to get through my day.

BUT, like you, I can watch repeats of anything on TLC, A&E, HGTV, etc. and watch them like it's the first time!

And, like you, I'd rather laugh. And I do. A lot!!

Be well,

Comment

Movies

In movies I can't remember the plot line but start laughing before the jokes come to a finish. Somehow I get a double laugh for the joke even if I can't remember it.

My son brought up a tag line for me that has become the family joke for my loss of short term memory. "Dad, you could hold your own Easter egg hunt."

We have to laugh at our selves or we would cry. J.

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post

My son brought up a tag line for me that has become the family joke for my loss of short term memory. "Dad, you could hold your own Easter egg hunt."
        LOL!!! That's a good one!
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

the word rerun doeesn`t have meaning to me!!!
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I can read a book and the next day not remember anything about it. When we go to the library I always ask dh "have I read this before?". On the positive side, it means I have an endless supply of books by my favorite authors - they're all new to me each time I read them!

Comment

Yup, same here. I've watched movies that hubby swore were ones we'd seen before, but I couldn't remember them.

I've gotten better - now I can watch a rerun and vaguely remember what happens.
              "Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory as the wish to forget it" - Michel de Montaigne
              Diagnosed May 2007, relapsing-remitting

Comment

Thanks for the ROF..LOL!

I have long likened myself to an absent minded prof.......just no sheepskin.

GOMER There are 2 ways to go around lifes ??goround..one is being a sour kitty, dat ain't no fun.

Comment

Thanks for the laughs! Ever have a friend ask you to keep a deep secret and promise to tell no one? My friends know the secret stays with me cuz I NEVER remember the details of what I'm supposed to keep secret!! Shoot - I can't even remember WHO told me the secret - LOL
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks for this pearl of laughter!

Comment

I can definitely relate to the reading problem. I'm an instructor at a college and have to read to prep for my classes. I can read a paragraph and then promptly forget what I was reading and have to keep re-reading it. It's aggravating!

Another benefit to CRS syndrome (Can't Remember Stuff) is that it helps with marital problems.

For example, my husband and I once got into an arguement over something he said that upset me. I told him about it, and it went from there. About two minutes later, the argument was over because I couldn't remember what we were arguing about. Who needs marriage counseling when you have short-term memory loss? (It didn't help much in the long-run though because my husband and I are now separated - probably because I can't remember why I on earth I married him in the first place! LOL!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
                        (It didn't help much in the long-run though because my husband and I are now separated - probably because I can't remember why I on earth I married him in the first place! LOL!!)
                        How priceless! LOL
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Cute stories.. IF. people understand right?

My daughter, when she was a teen..would give me "the look" when I could not remember..and make fun of me to relatives.

NOW she is a mother.. and we're much much closer. When my daughters tell me something and I cannot remember..they just tell me again.. and stopped making fun..well.. unless I make fun of myself!!

Yes my parents argued for most of their 54 years..until.. they both became deaf and forgetful.. it stopped the fighting cuz no one would hear the other nor remember why..LOL

Take care you forgetfuls.. LOL

Jan
                          I believe in miracles~!
                          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
                          X