Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for Redwings (or anyone who can answer it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Redwings (or anyone who can answer it)

Redwings (or whomever), Tuesday I saw a neuro-ophthalmologist who diagnosed me with having had mild ON at some point in the past year or so. He was basing that on my symptoms of blurred vision when I get overheated, flashing lights that I see at times, a ziz-zag of light that I see when my eyes are closed and I hear a loud or sudden noise, the fact that my eyes are having problems converging on the test he did, my color vision being off, and dark spots in my vision when I first open my eyes in dim lighting. (He called that some type of phenomenon that starts with a "P" which indicates a problem with the optic nerve, but I can't remember what it was. Do you happen to know?)

My question (besides that last one) is, my optic nerve and disc looked normal on my exam, my field of vision was normal (except that I had to keep blinking my eyes during the test because while looking through just one eye, my vision would go black from the inside corner of my eye to halfway across. This occurred in both eyes, and has happened once before when I was swimming and looking up at the sky with one eye closed.) Also, the various VEPs I've had over the last few years (usually one a year with the last one being in October) have also been normal. The ophthalmologist said that sometimes with mild cases of ON, that's possible.

Have you heard of this? All the tests being normal, and it still being ON? If not, what else could be causing these vision problems I'm having?

(He also said I have a posterior subcapsular cataract starting in my right eye, the one that has the blurriness with heat the worst. He said he could remove it, but with the damage from the ON, there's no guarantee that it will help my vision.)

Thanks,

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

The one thing I can relate to is that my optic nerve/disc looked normal on exam and looked normal on MRI. CT scan was normal. I had a raging case of ON at the time. Visual field test was completely normal too. My VEP was not normal however. VEP was performed 4 months after the onset of ON.

Comment

I had to keep blinking my eyes during the test because while looking through just one eye, my vision would go black from the inside corner of my eye to halfway across. This occurred in both eyes, and has happened once before when I was swimming and looking up at the sky with one eye closed.)
      I think this is called homonymous hemianopsia (or hemianopia). I've had it in a different form. The bottom half of my visual field in both eyes would suddenly go black or "drop out."
      MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

Working...
      X