Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents with MS, Age of kids also DX'd

Hello everyone,
    I know that MS is not supposed to be hereditary but for those of you that have MS and also a child with MS, what was the age of DX for your child. I have 4 kids and wonder if they get the DX at a earlier age, guess I'm trying to find a magic age so I can get rid of some stress or I'm off track on this and am stressing for nothing.

Thanks for any input

Are you asking about this because your children are showing symptoms of MS ?

If they aren't showing symptoms, then I wouldn't worry about it. I would caution them to pay attention to their bodies and to review a list of common symptoms with them.

I don't worry quite as much because I have two boys and they are less likely to have MS than girls. However, I still worry because I have 4 different autoimmune diagnoses.

Overall, I think earlier diagnosis and treatment is the best case scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by cosake View Post

I don't worry quite as much because I have two boys and they are less likely to have MS than girls. However, I still worry because I have 4 different autoimmune diagnoses.

I'm in a similar boat Cosake - I have MS and fibromyalgia. Psoriasis is now considered an auto-immune disorder, and my DH has that. And I've seen psoriasis run in families. Truthfully, one of these things (MS, fibromyalgia, and psoriasis) showing up in my kids, no matter what age, bothers me more than the possible eventuality that I may have to give up my 2 story home.
      Diagnosis: May, 2008
      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

My youngest just turned 22 and told me he is having numbness and tingling, he also has no insurance so he is blowing it off as just a annoyance, his GF has a friend with MS and has some knowledge of MS so I'm sure see will watch him closer and tell what he's not

Comment

My bf started having noticeable symptoms at the end of December and was diagnosed in April at age 36. His mom has MS and has been diagnosed since he was a small child.

So far, his symptoms have been minimal compared to some of what I’m reading. Started with leg numbness and weakness and some general fatigue, now those come and go and he gets the buzzy sensations sometimes when he tips his head down. That’s all so far and we’re thankful.

He’s got 1 sizeable and a handful of teeny tiny lesions on his brain and 2 small areas of demyelination on his spine.

All things considered, it’s started very mild but we’re not sure how long it’s been going on, considering he didn’t have symptoms before.

Unfortunately, there’s just no way to predict.

Comment

If they aren't showing symptoms, then I wouldn't worry about it.
            Not worry about it?

The person I know who's mother had MS was diagnosed in her 30s so not really early.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Ugg, I lost my whole post.

Anyway, I was saying I have 3 children who are in their 20
              or 30's none of whom are showing any signs of MS.

As a parent, I don't think you can not worry but I try to "worry" about what's going on in their lives now (thankfully nothing much at this time), not the past or future. There's enough problems without adding some which could very well never happen. Plus, worrying won't make any difference in what happens to them. Only to me as it's a negative and useless emotion.
              What if trials of this life
              Are Your mercies in disguise?
              "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

I guess I said that quickly and maybe not quite like I meant.

I don't worry or obsess over my kids getting any of my medical issues because there is nothing I can do to change it. I can't stress myself out worrying about them all of the time for something that may never happen. I do think about it from time to time, but can't let it become a focal point for me.

I do "worry" in that I pay close attention to their health and how they are feeling and any symptoms they might have.

Comment

I guess I said that quickly and maybe not quite like I meant.

I don't worry or obsess over my kids getting any of my medical issues because there is nothing I can do to change it. I can't stress myself out worrying about them all of the time for something that may never happen. I do think about it from time to time, but can't let it become a focal point for me.

I do "worry" in that I pay close attention to their health and how they are feeling and any symptoms they might have.
                  Makes sense.
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

I will have to answer this in reverse. My mother died in 1972 from M.S. related pneumonia. I was 8. When I was 40, I, too, was diagnosed with M.S. She was lucky to go to her grave believing M.S. is supposedly not inherited. I won't have that luxury and worry about my DD on a daily basis. Even after I die, how do I know she won't get it? M.S. has taken everything from me including my right to Rest In Peace!
                    Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by maximumlite View Post
                      I have 4 kids and wonder if they get the DX at a earlier age, guess I'm trying to find a magic age so I can get rid of some stress or I'm off track on this and am stressing for nothing.
                      The magic age for MS diagnosis is between 20 and 40, whether or not it's familially linked. One study found earlier onset in familial PPMS than nonfamilial PPMS, but the age of onset was still in the 30s. Pediatric MS (about 5% of MS cases) doesn't seem to have a higher percentage of familial linkage than adult onset.

Comment

Originally posted by Spydre View Post
                        Psoriasis is now considered an auto-immune disorder, and my DH has that.
                        My DH has that, too.

My children are to young to have any symptoms of MS, but we did a DNA-Test for my youngest for SMA III. My sister has it, my aunt has it too and I never (because I grew up with it) cared about how it is herited. Fibro has another aunt of me and we've got 3 cases of a cracked blood vessel (is that the right term?) in our family (my father and two sisters of my mother). Enough diseases for 5 families .

Greets,
                        Karin
                        "If you have never said "Excuse me" to a parking meter or bashed your shins on a fireplug, you are probably wasting too much valuable reading time." (Sherri Chasin Calvo)

Comment

My two daughters are 30 and 27 and I worry all the time. They do take 1000mg of Vitamin D daily, but that's all we can do now.

I was diagnosed at age 59 with SPMS, possibly PPMS, so I also worry about the PPMS having genetically earlier onset, if that's true.

There's nothing we can do but hope for a cure, and soon.

Comment

Parents with MS

I was dxed at 45 with RRMS, but my dad was dxed at 21 with PPMS, and died at the age of 38 with MS related pneumonia. My oldest daughter is 28 and has had an MRI checking for MS, because she was showing some of the same symptoms I had years ago and just ignored. So far everything is good with her, no MS.

Comment

Working...
                            X