Heat and pseudoexacerbation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat and pseudoexacerbation

So throughout the weekend, I would go running errands and shopping with DH for a couple of hours, and by the end of the couple of hours I would end up needing to use my cane because basically of general weakness. Most days I would use my cane for a couple hours and sit for a couple hours and I would be better. On the 4th, since we weren't out very long, and the temperature was cooler, I didn't have the problem.

Well, yesterday, went out with my husband again, forgot to take my cane with me. I don't know if we didn't have the car cool enough, or it was the extra time in the car or what - after we got home I immediately started using my cane because I was very weak, I was having bad nerve pain, and it hasn't gone away. All I could do last night was basically sit and read - DH ended up doing my laundry for me. And today I'm still not good - many of the same symptoms I had yesterday.

I just didn't expect this to stick around like this - the other days after a couple of hours I was fine. Now today I'm going to be lucky if I can put together a salad for dinner. I tried going out with him this morning while he picked up larger stuff, but I just couldn't keep up with him. So I'm not going out with him tomorrow - we still have some things we have to do (tomorrow he's just picking up a new grill) but they will wait until Friday.

Has anyone else had it when the heat induced symptoms stuck around for more than a day? Although I've been less tolerant of the heat, this is the first year that it's had a real, measurable effect on me.
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

I'm not sure. I'm having a long run of symptoms that I think are partially due to heat. The problem is - I also think I'm flaring. Not sure what's causing what.

Comment

Heat is bothering me, too, but I started a flare about 5 weeks ago.

The weather seems to be a "hot" topic on the boards recently !

Comment

Real flares and pseudo flares will be more and more common as August approaches.

My neuro told me that his busiest time is summer, with August being when he diagnoses and treats the most patients.

Don't be afraid to call your doc and discuss what's happening if symptoms are still present 48 hours after they first appear, even with rest.

My neuro also mentioned that it's not uncommon to need a steroid treatment around the same time as diagnosis each year.

During this time of year, I have to slow down on purpose and am extra careful to not overdo.

Take it easy everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by heliotrope View Post
          I'm not sure. I'm having a long run of symptoms that I think are partially due to heat. The problem is - I also think I'm flaring. Not sure what's causing what.
          I'm in the exact same situation. I think I'm flaring, but I also know every time I think I'm on the mend and leave the house for even just a drive with my husband I have a set back. It's probably a combination of the two. I flared last June too, so why not start a tradition?

Comment

Thanks everyone. Fixing supper tonight was torture because of this. My legs don't feel quite as weak, but still going through all of this. Definitely not leaving the house until Friday when I have an appointment with my epilepsy doc. Of course, that's when we have to do the rest of our errands, too.
            Diagnosis: May, 2008
            Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Working...
            X