Eye pain from eye exam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye pain from eye exam?

Has anyone ever had eye pain after an eye exam?

I had a neuro-ophthalmology appointment yesterday, and they did several tests, including dilating my pupils and examining my retinas and optic nerve, testing my field of vision, and other stuff where I had to move my eyes around.

Since last night, my right eye has been hurting when I move it. My eyes muscles are kind of stiff when I move my eyes (can you have spasticity in your eyes?) and I'm wondering if it's the muscle hurting. The doctor did say that I've had mild ON at some point in the last couple of years in both eyes. Maybe all that light and movement aggravated something?
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Oh Gosh..sorry to hear this. I don't have an answer for you. I'm going for an eye exam at 7:20AM on Saturday. YES!! 7:20 AM on a Saturday. I'm leaving on a cruise on Sunday and my vision just seems really blurry this week.

I'm wondering if I have ON happening again. Not that I'm not going on my cruise, but I just kind of want to know so I can be prepared if the whole world starts looking like it's coated in vaseline at some point while I'm away :-)

I hope it stops hurting. Maybe you should call the Dr.?
    Melissa Goerke
    [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

Shashi, I just had all of that testing done a couple of weeks ago & it didn't bother my eyes at all (other than the normal from dilation).

I agree that this warrants a call to the doc. It may just be you've used muscles you aren't accustomed to using with all of the tests, but maybe not. Your peace of mind is worth a phone call!
      DX 10/2008
      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Yes. I have this kind of pain- but I have an eye muscle problem. There are MS issues that can cause the pain you're describing. Give the neuro-opth a call.

Comment

I have never had ON, but have had sudden stabbing pain, pain when headlights hit my eyes while driving at night, and whenever I move my eyes UP, they hurt, make me instantly dizzy..then are fine. I do think you can have muscle pain as my eyes have been fine with all exams.

I may see a neuro ophal for my blurry vision (both eyes) as it suddenly cleared so well never needed my glasses!!
          Now its back..sometimes worse that I don't drive. Cannot read except online with very large fonts. It wears me out.

Good luck..did you make an appt yet with neuro?

Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
            Good luck..did you make an appt yet with neuro?

Jan
            Jan, the neuro-ophthalmologist is sending my neurologist a report about the ON. I'm going to wait for about a week and then check to see if she got it. (I'm getting a copy of it too.)

Then I'll make an appointment with her, though it could take months to get in to see her. I may just call and leave her a message and ask her if this changes anything in my diagnosis and what our next steps should be. I'd probably (hopefully) get an answer sooner that way.

Hugs,

Lisa
            Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

What I would "suggest" is to call and speak to your neuro's nurse. She triages what is important enough to warrant an appt or at least mentions your new findings to the neuro who will instruct her what to do.

Waiting for them to call?? Hmm..probably would take longer. Sometimes things just sit there waiting to get scanned into electronic chart (if that is what they are using) and you sit waiting..tick..tick...ticking away.

Hope I am not being too intrusive. But I have seen docs upset that they did not get/see reports in time.

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
              X