Anyone else have this happen to them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else have this happen to them

I think I posted several months ago about my lapse in memory. Several times I couldn't remember what day it was. Also my surroundings seemed unfamiliar even though I was in my own apartment. It didn't last but about 5 minutes but it scared the fire out of me!!

Well the other night I went to WalMart and when I started to get out of the car I couldn't remember how to. I kept looking at the door and couldn't decide what I needed to do. I would look at the locks and think I know that is not how to get out. I looked at the knob that rolls the windows down and knew that wasn't right. I looked at the door handle but thought that wasn't right either.

Finally I thought well I will just start the car and go back home but then thought when I get there how will I get out. I was really scared and upset. I just kept sitting there and finally it came to me to pull on the handle to open the door.

I am so afraid that I will get somewhere and something like this will happen again and won't be able to figure out what to do.

Does anyone here have these kind of things happen to them. My daughter mentioned maybe I might be having TIA's and that doesn't make me happy either.

Hugs Deb..I know that your experience is scary. Yes I have had similar experiences and ended up in many an ER. It always presents like I am having a TIA. BUT..that was before MS. You need to tell your doc..as soon as you can. Speak to the RN, do not just leave message for doc to call.

They will probably do another MRI to see what is going on.

Just know that we care..you are not alone and I hope you have others near you. I would suggest NOT driving ok? Not for awhile. You do remember this situation so that's a good thing.

Let us know what happens hon ok? HUGS

Warmly, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Fear not you are not alone. My first experience of the "Twilight Zone", that's what I call it, happened several years ago. I was driving home and looked around and had no clue where I was. That truly scared me. I wondered if I do not know where I was how can possibly know how to get home? Mind you now I was only about 1/4 mile from my subdivision. I finally saw the lighthouse in front of my neighborhood and I snapped out of it. I went to neuro the next day. He was very brash and without any tyoe of exam dx me with having TIA's and sent me for a MRI. Very long story cut short 7 years later dx with MS and my new neuro said that was a sx of MS. He did caution me that should I experience it again just to pull over and sit until it passes. He said is a cognitive sx.

Good Luck to you because it can be very alarming.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
      Babe Ruth

Comment

Thanks so much for your replies!

Comment

I have episodes like this too. They have gotten much better, but for a while there I was afraid to go anywhere. I went to the mall and couldn't figure out how to get out. I knew my car was parked outside of one of the major stores and could even find the store on the map, but had no idea how to get there. I finally had to get a security guard to walk lme to my car.

Comment

Yes, I go through these episodes. It started when I was probable MS in 2008. I would be in the most familiar places and forget where I was. I would quickly snap back and remember. The most recent episode was a couple of months ago when I was in the shower and forgot how to wash. Again I quickly remembered. So I do get it but it doesn't last long. Be sure to inform your Dr.

Take good care!
            "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
            Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

me too

I have episodes such as this as well.

Even while reading, I suddenly can't read. While in the grocery store with a written list, I can't go on shopping. I can't figure out what to do next.

I go into a room and have no idea what I went there for, but it isn't the normal thing everybody does from time to time. I get there and can't decide what I should do now that I don't remember what I went in there for. It is like I'm frozen until I can make a decision of something else to do.

I forget how to crank the car, but just for a few seconds or minutes. I haven't had any trouble driving. I've had my son and husband follow me to make sure I'm not doing something I don't know about. I guess most of us (everyone, not just MSer's) drive on auto-pilot half the time. That deep memory keeps working I guess.

They thought I had MS, but now think it is B12 deficiency. I was thrilled and so was my husband, but I keep reading about other people being told the same or similar story only to still have MS and be diagnosed a few years later.

Comment

For all of you that report this type of "zoning" out and being told its a TIA..hmm.. it sure gets confusing. Whenever I would be in ER, because of my sudden weakness/right sideness, balance off.. I ended up being admitted for a potential of a major stroke.

However, when I saw my first MS neuro he said I did not have TIAs. Hmm... ok. Then when I "got lost" on a familiar street 1x, the next neuro said I had Jamais vu which is a type of seizure, simple partial seizures. AND when I could not remember what just happened at work even for a few seconds he was concerned I was having Complex partials which involves no memory/or consciousness but ..you can be saying or doing things..usually oddly.

Its very important you have a neuro who understands and gets your evaluated for both possible TIAs AND seizures. You would not want to be driving, cooking or doing anything potentially dangerous to yourself or others and suddenly lose consciousness, even for a few seconds.

What stopped ME from wanting to drive (later was told I could not for 6 months) was the potential of hitting someone and not knowing it. That is criminal and you can be charged criminally which is what make me sit up and take it even more serious.

BUT.. all that seems to have passed. Still I am being followed by my Epileptologist who also treat MS so she is familiar with both.

Know that a doc cannot diagnose you with seizures and/or TIAs without testing.. so I disagree with your doc for saying you had a TIA w/o having examined you, or doing an MRI at the TIME you experienced what he thought was a TIA. Just MY opinion..

Take good care guys~Jan
                I believe in miracles~!
                2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I had something similar happen today. I was in the grocery store just walking around aimlessly with a near empty buggy, could not remember how long I had been there or what I had needed to purchase. When I got to the parking lot I could not find my car. I traded cars last month when I remembered the trade and found my car I seemed to be okay. I think I was in the store for more than an hour and purchased about 5 items. Mayhap I got too hot and just needed some cool down time.

Comment

Working...
                  X