Optic neuritis question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optic neuritis question

I saw a neuro-ophthalmologist today, who said that at some point in the past year or so, I have had mild optic neuritis in both eyes, worse in my right eye.

If I have had this once, does that mean I'm more likely to have it again?

Also, would having had ON fit anywhere in the McDonald criteria and possibly help me get diagnosed? He's sending a report to my neurologist.

Thanks,

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

I had it on four separate occasions, Lisa, but it was never mild. I always had pain on movement, and the lesions causing it always showed up on an MRI.

I have never looked at the McDonald criteria (no reason to, for me), but I do know that optic neuritis was one of the reasons I got my diagnosis. I had other neurological symptoms that sealed the deal for me.

I sure hope they can get to the bottom of this for you SOON!!
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Be very careful what you wish for. I've only had it once and I've been waiting ten years for it go away.

Comment

This is what led to my diagnosis. I woke up Thanksgiving morning 2010 with this in my right eye and it got progressively worse. Like bob said, mine has never gotten better, and my neuro-opth said not to expect it to. I have had an "exacerbation" of ON once, and two recurrances all in the same eye. I would not call any of mine mild, not even the "exacerbation" which was a "blind spot" that lasted for 28 hours or so. I did not always have pain, but I have always had vision loss.

My VEP was abnormal. an abnormal VEP used to help contribute to a diagnosis but not anymore. Someone here just told me they have revised that in 2010. I think if you have lesions and an incidence of ON your chances of having MS are 85% or something like that. I cannot recall the results of your MRI. HUGS, I know how frustrating this must be for you, not having anything to go on but being sick anyways. HUGS!!!
        Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
        ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
          Be very careful what you wish for. I've only had it once and I've been waiting ten years for it go away.
          Believe me, I'm not wishing for it at all! I'm having enough residual trouble from just having had a mild case of it! I don't want it again, even though I'm not sure exactly when I had it before. (I just walked to my mailbox and back and now my right eye is so blurry I can't see through it. I'm typing this with just my left eye open because it's throwing my vision off.)

However, I AM hoping this will be enough to get a diagnosis finally. After dragging around in limbo for five years and going from a perfect brain MRI in 2006 to five brain lesions and an ON diagnosis in 2011, I think it's time to give this thing a name and some treatment!
          Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

WOW ..finally some confirmation that indeed, something IS wrong!! I would make an appt with neuro now, to discuss this and how it adds to your DX.

Sorry its ON, but glad someone gave you validation hon

Jan
            I believe in miracles~!
            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I know how you feel!

Shashi-
              I was reading this thinking that I wrote it. I have been in Limbo since 12/09. I have lesions and sx, yet no dx. I have had a ton of pain in my right eye (most sx are on the right side, lesions on left) and have had a lot of visual disturbances lately (like flashes of white light, a blacked out circle and moving shadows, all in my peripheral)

I saw my regular eye doc a few weeks ago and he referred me to Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia. My appt is Thurs and I hoping that this will seal the deal for me because I am tired of my eyes hurting, and even more sick of not having and answer while I watch myself get worse.

I hope you find answers soon. I know what it is like to want to jump off the Limbo Bus.

Warmly,
              Christina

Comment

Working...
              X