I climbed a mountain today!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I climbed a mountain today!!!

My daughter, son-in-law, son and I all went up to the mountains for the 4th of July and had a picnic, went swimming in a cold mountain river (which felt wonderful), and then went up to Clingman's Dome, the highest mountain in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. The view there is breathtaking. There is a tower on the top of the mountain where you can see all over the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina. To get up there, you have to walk up a very steep 1-mile path, and then up a winding walkway to the tower.

It wasn't easy, but I did it!!! I had to sit down and rest every 15 feet or so, and I was out of breath most of the way, but I did it! A couple of times I didn't think I was going to make it, but I just kept pushing myself. My legs were wobbly on the way up, and my left knee and right calf were hurting pretty badly on the way back down, but I didn't give up. And I did it! I climbed a mountain!

I'll probably pay for it tomorrow, and even now, I'm having trouble walking, but it's such an awesome feeling to know that even with the health problems I have, I didn't let them stop me from doing something I wanted to do. I climbed a mountain!! You know, sometimes, you just have to live!
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Way to Go Shashi!!! What an accomplishment.

I am so happy for you that you did what you set out to do.

Comment

Clingman's Dome

I so proud that you even had the confidence to attempt it. I was there about fifteen years ago and did it but my dx only came three years ago.

My grown children and grandsone are heading to Robbinsville, NC. on Friday. for a mini-family reunion. There has been talk about going to Clingman's. So since you have given me the confidence to try it its a go for me. I will let you know how it went.

I have been in remission for the past two months and have had all kinds of stamina but a week ago the nasty symptoms started to return. So...I am trying to prepare myself now that I know what to expect. I am going to fight to stay positive and active as I can so Clingman's will be the first test.

Thanks for the encouragement and congratulations on the your great accomplishment. Its the kind of spirit that keeps up MS'er's going.

Great work.
      Dave
      J: Tampa, FL.

Comment

Good for you, Shashi. I know it really feels great to accomplish a goal. Congrats to you

Take good care!
        "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
        Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

YEE-HAA SHASHI!!!! GOOD FOR YOU GIRL!!!!!!!!!!! YOU MUST BE VERY PROUD OF YOURSELF! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You know what's really weird? I feel fine today. No leg pain or soreness, no stiffness, no anything. I'm not tired either. Maybe I need to climb a mountain every day! LOL!!

(And then other days, just going to work or the grocery store wipes me out and I hurt all night. MS is one strange disease!)
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Good going, Shasi! it feels great to achieve such an accomplishment.
              Smoky Mtns...one of my favorite places to be...LUCKY YOU!

Comment

Hey Shashi...you need to finish that declaration:

You climbed a mountain, AND you made it back down!

Both are accomplishments. Once in BC we took a gondola to the top of a mountain, then there was a "mild" hike to the summit. Well I made it up, coming down was so much harder (I normally have a harder time walking down an incline.) My lets were shaking so bad when I reached the gondola platform I looked like I was having a seizure.

Congrats on your climb....and descent!

Dave...we've stayed in Robbinsville at a place called Jimbo's Farm (it was so nice, but it was during cooler weather.) I didn't do any hiking, but there are some amazing car trips you can take from there (check out the Tail of the Dragon stretch of road.)

Comment

That is so awesome!!! Congrats to you!!!
                  Melissa Goerke
                  [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

Congratulations! Before I was diagnosed, (and a short while before that) I did a lot of climbing. I was most at peace in the mountains. I think that is one thing I miss the most. It was a great victory for you!

Fortunately, I'm still able to ride my horses and that gives me much the same freedom. It is the one thing I will not let the disease rob me of...thanks to all of the devices out there that keep it possible!

Keep up the great efforts!
                    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and that way you have all your bases covered.

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
                      I so proud that you even had the confidence to attempt it.
                      Actually, Dave, I was kind of tricked into it. If you've been to Clingman's Dome, you know that at the beginning of that trail up the mountain to the tower, you can't telll how steep or how far it really is. It looks rather harmless. It's only after you've been walking for a bit that you realize it's getting steeper and steeper. Thank goodness for the benches and rocks! My behind was intimately connected with each and every one of them on the way up (and several times on the way down too!)

I think at one point I told my son, as I was gasping for air, that when I dropped over dead, just to roll me off the side of the mountain and save the funeral costs. I was where I'd want my final resting place to be anyway. But I did make it!

And yes, rdmc, you're right, I made it back down too! Coming back down was actually hardaer on my knee than going up! I was in quite a bit of pain on the journey down.

Comment

Good for you, Shashi! It's been years since I've climbed a mountain. Used to climb about twice a summer. Nothing like being on top of the "world" and catching those awesome views!! Hope you or someone took lots of photos.
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

WOWEE YIPEE You go girl!! How did I miss this post? Hmm..

Guess what? I went to a MS educational dinner with presentation provided by my former MS neuro. (the one who DX then unDX me LOL). He was saying how the brain is capable of creating new pathways in spite of damage.

Anyway.. a 50ish guy gets up and tells him to remind folks how important exercise is. Then the Neuro asked him to tell his story as he was already familiar with this patients accomplishments.

Seemed that only a few years ago, he could not even hold a fork up to his mouth and eat as he was that weak and uncoordinated. He tried exercising but it seemed so impossible..still..he never stopped trying.

He went from barely able to feed himself to walking..then running to doing marathons..to..get this.. now doing IRONMAN!! Still has MS, but did not let MS stop him.

Again Congrats!! Job well done.. luv your humor though.

Hugs, Jan
                          I believe in miracles~!
                          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Jan, I do believe that exercise can help. I know the few times I do get to exercise, I feel better. I got an exercise DVD that was created just for people with MS that someone recommended here a few months ago, and I really enjoy working out with it. I need to do it more often.

I'd actually love to hike more often. My cousin and my 70+ year old uncle who has had both knees replaced hike almost every weekend. But I think I need to start with more level ground. That mountain was a bit steep! LOL!

By the way, I posted a picture that I took back in May from Clingman's Dome (the parking lot on top of the mountain, not the tower that time). It's in the Creative section here on MSWorld in the Photo section. It's a breathtaking picture and actually looks more like a painting than a picture. Here's the link to it: http://creativecenter.msworld.org/ga...clingmans-dome

Hugs,

Lisa

Comment

Good for you, Lisa. I'm impressed. Not sure I'm ready to jump in there and try a mountain climb on a summer day.

And the best thing, you did well the day after.
                              I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Working...
                              X