Help me brainstorm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me brainstorm?

Ok, I am trying to think of questions to ask my neurologist at my appointment next Tuesday. I welcome any and all suggestions for anything I might have overlooked. I've only had my diagnosis since March and this is a new neurologist for me. The following are my questions so far: Any glaring absences here?

1. Vitamin D: How much to take daily? Should I be getting my levels checked?

2. acetyl l carnitine alpha lipoic acid: I've heard it does wonders for fatigue, but is it safe/recommended for people with MS?

3. Diets: recommend anti-inflammatory diet?

4. Physical Therapy: should I consider it; my right leg buckles (is wobbly) at times. It also shakes when going down stairs. My left leg has muscle spasms. Should I just exercise on my own like I've been doing? I have lost 10 pounds in the past year, I have done more walking and stationary bike riding, any yet my legs are worse.

5. Muscle spasms in rib cage area, near sternum: any exercises I can do to help with that? It seldom happens during the day, but often happens during the night when I am trying to sleep.

6. I don't hesitate to take my daughter to the doctor when worries arise, but I myself tend to avoid going. How often should I see my PC physician and what kinds of possibly MS related things can he take care of? For example, prescribing muscle relaxers for spasms or would you prefer me to visit your office for things like that?

7. Any supplement I can take, food I can eat, or thing I can do to help cog fog?

8. Can I take regular otc medications like motrin and antihistamines while on the drug study?

9. Will all the tests and procedures you suggest for me be covered by my insurance/pre-authorized? I won't be left in the lurch like recently at another facility will I?
    Portia

It is a great idea to make a list of all your questions; it is so easy to miss asking some during the appointment. And you have some good questions.

1. How much should depend on level and body type/weight, I’d ask for D and B-12 levels to be checked. Maybe levels on all vitamins, and then after results (that you should ask for a copy of) ask how much.

3 & 7, research on the web may give you better answers, but still ask your doctors he/she may know something knew or something that may be unique to your case.
    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Hi.

Sorry about your diagnosis.

I was diagnosed in Dec. of 2007 and think that your questions for your neurologist are "right on target".

Two additions.......Maybe you should ask about the new medication Ampyra, which is supposed to help with walking speed. I think it's helped me with that, as well as with leg strength. Also, physical therapy is important, especially strength training. I work with weights on my ankles several times a week and think that it's helped me a lot.

Good luck!

Comment

Sir Voor

Thanks, I hadn't even thought about B-12. And yes, there is a lot of info on the web about 3 and 7. That is actually why I want to ask my doc. There is sooo much info out there.
        Portia

Comment

Portia,

everyone has their own MS religion and so you'll get different answers.

I follow the advice of a Doctor who's mother had terrible MS an then he got it at 45. He has specific diet and suppliement reccomendations. Best of all, he cites study and rationale for each of his decisions. He is also one of the few who advocate diet and medecine.

It is like choosing a religion, but there are not many people out there who are doctors, edited a medical journal, who's mother had MS and who has MS himself - and is doing well.

You can google (or bing) "george jelinek ms" if you want to see his site, where he has reccomendations for much of what you're asking. You can also get his old book from the library - the new book is not yet available in the US or UK.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks

Kippy and Big A, thanks for the suggestions
            Portia

Comment

Working...
            X