memory/cognition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

memory/cognition

I am having some real issues with memory and cognition in the last week. Like, ones that scare me. I don't know what to do about it. I cannot remember med stuff and when i count things out (like to 4) I am forgetting before I get there. I am doing science stuff so the ratios cannot be off so I have to start over - it is really frustrating. It is all short term stuff, but getting really bad. Also, I keep forgetting my cell phone - twice this week! I NEVER do this. I have a son with serious issues, I cannot do this. Is this normal with MS? It is really scaring me.
    Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
    ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Can cognitive/memory problems be due to MS? Yes.

However, cognitive problems can also have other causes. You may want to do some research into Topamax which can cause cognitive problems.

Not everything is MS related, there can be other medical causes and even medications can be a problem.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

YESSS I can relate as this happened to me last year, long enough to tell a seizure/MS doc. She ordered a neuropsych test. I was forgetting my thoughts in just a few words either orally, typing, or in writing. I would just sit there dumbfounded BLANK!! It really started to disturb me.

By the time I had the test, it had improved greatly. So I do not know if it was related to the IV steriods I had for the 1st time, the fact that they increased Gabapentin, but the MRI I had in hosp just revealed 4 more lesions which were not there 6 weeks earlier. BUT they were not active. Go figure~

So hang in there. I am a firm believer that we have inflammation due to multiple causes perhaps, but still, I have seen improvement in my cog abilities after worrying that it was permanent.

Let your neuro know about this..We'll be here to support you!!

Warmly, Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

cognitive problems

I too have a lot of cognitive problems. I have a lot of problems staying focused on anything - constantly forget what I am doing, and I do things that don't make sense (like putting a dryer fabric softener sheet in the empty washing machine, turning it on, then looking at the dryer, door open, with wet clothes, and realizing what I did. So far nothing dangerous has happened but I always wonder what will be next.

With regards to keeping count, I can relate to that too when I am crocheting. Would counting (quietly when with others) help?

I had a neuropsychology test (lasted all day) that showed what my cognitive deficits are and amazingly it all fit with where the lesions in my brain are. I ended up quiting my job as I cannot multitask with this problem. Good luck - I know it's frustrating.

My family and I find that most events are something we can laugh about - that helps.

Comment

I have noticed I'm slipping a bit lately. I never thought i had cog problems other than severe depression, but wow.

I can totally relate to what all of you have said. I was trying to tell my admin to fedex something this morning and I just couldn't get the words out correctly and totally couldn't remember the word Fedex!! She laughed and told me I needed more caffeine. I laughed it off and then sat in my office stunned.

I keep forgetting people's names. So I'll joke and say "What is it we call you again?" and I'll laugh. I don't know how much longer I can do this without people catching on.

I happened to be looking at my tweets yesterday and I noticed that I had words missing here and there out of sentences and sometimes a completely wrong word. I had no idea!!! People must think I'm on drugs...which is true but they are not the fun kind, LOL.

As for multitasking, I am usually the queen of productivity and multitasking. Lately I can't seem to get anything done and I spend a lot of time in an office frozen and staring off into space. I'm going on vacation next week and I'm praying that some rest and relaxation will help.

I'll be starting Gilenya in August..hopefully that will help too.

Thank you for sharing your fears and issues! So good to not feel alone!!!
          Melissa Goerke
          [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

memory issues are a problem for me. I forget things as I am trying to say them, I often forget simple things like my phone number or what I just read in a book.

One thing that helps me is to carry a small notebook and jot things down. I too have a job that requires me to be on my toes and work through things in a logical way...it can be a real problem at times but the notebook helps.
            Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and that way you have all your bases covered.

Comment

I can relate to the the cog/mem problems. My biggest problem is I cannot remember taking my meds. I usually err on the side of caution. So if I cannot remember if I took my meds I don't take them. It is usually the night time doses. I guess it is time for a medicine dispenser with Morning,Afternoon and Evening doses.
              Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
              Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
              X