How do you deal with summer Heat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you deal with summer Heat?

I am already sick of Texas heat...I can't work in my yard, or go to the store without getting so weak and sick. Everytime I get over heated I can't stay awake, I get cog-fog and I walk like a drunk person for a couple of days. My hubby has to lead me around in the mornings till I get my "sobber legs"..

I sneak out to work in the yard with a hose in one hand so I can spray myself often. it at least cools me down some when there is a breeze. But I have not figured out how to take a water hose to the store with me yet ! I have taken to carrying a spray bottle with me and spraying myself a lot. I really get some funny looks though!

I' LOOKING FOR A GOOD POW-WOW
    Sissy

Sissy: I experience the same symptoms as you when I get over-heated. I live in Indiana and the heat index was 110 degrees yesterday, and VERY humid!

It doesn't seem like a cooling vest should be necessary when making a quick trip out of the house. Yesterday, I visited friends and really thought I'd be safe from overheating since I only had to survive until my husband's hybrid car cooled off. However, last evening I was nauseated and exhausted, and could barely walk to bed. This was the first time I've had problems when going from air conditioned place to air conditioned place. I even opted out of attending a fireworks display because the temp was still 85+ degrees at 9PM.

I have seen benefits from recently beginning Ampyra, but it hasn't helped my heat-related issues. My family is benefiting though; I'm staying inside and cooking treats for them, since I don't want to venture outside!

Comment

It is key for me to always be in shade, and that means creating my own shade if I must be outside. A good sun protective hat can make a difference walking into the store or to the mailbox, or watering the plants. Buy mine from Sun Grubbies and Sunday Afternoons on the net.
      http://www.sundayafternoons.com/index.php

http://www.sungrubbies.com/index.htm

My SPF umbrella is even more protective as it deflects the sun and is proven to keep you cooler. Check them out at:
      http://www.raybeth.com/ I have the 40" silver umbrella and it is so light you can take it anywhere.

My cooling vest can be helpful, but I find keeping my head cool is really more effective. I wear a Coolsport Classic vest.
      http://www.coolsport.net/index2.html

I found a portable folding chair with a canope that I used to use to watch my son playing sports. A golf umbrella was useful too.

I garden after the sun goes down. Crazy lady pulling weeds at 11:00 p.m.........

Comment

I have made myself a hat that has pockets to hold freezer "thingys". But they are a little heavy and tend to slide off....So I am looking for those other "thingy's" that they put in neck ties. I have heard of them being used in Arizona to beat the heat. I just can't think of what they are called so I can look them up..LOL

Yes I am the after-midnight lady! I will work in my yard or sit out and read a book while my Little Dog's play. BUT,now I have mosquitoes !!! SO I went to the camping supplies and found these neat sticks you just light and stick them in the ground.(use gloves when handling PLEASE) they work for hours and cover 10 sq. feet.

Also there is no open flame,just a little smoke (like a cigarette) I use a clay pot with sand in it. When you are through with it..flip it over so the smoking end is deep in the sand. It's ready to go the next time! If you contact me I will give you the name of the product. It is night friend..LOL...

Since I have no money to even buy groceries I have to go to one of the "Large Chain Stores" and it is so hot in there I can never get finished with my shopping...Grrrrr..so I have to go back a second time..(Hey maybe that's the Idea) LOL... got us by the "peroverbial gonades" Hee Hee.

ALSO! Try putting your unerware in a plastic bag in the freezer! so when you need to cool off fast Hee Hee...

Do they have Pow-Wow's in Iceland?
        Sissy

Comment

There are lots of products available to help keep you cool...they can be expensive tho. MSAA had a program where you could get a cooling vest, hat etc. for free.

Stuff that came up in a quick search.

Evaporative Cool Clothing
          Cooling Baseball Hats
          Floppy Cooling Hats
          Head Cooling Bandanas
          Hiking Cooling Safari Hats
          Cooling Neckbands
          Cooling Vests
          Cooling Visors
          Cooling Wrist Wraps

Blubandoo Cool Clothing
          Sun Activity Cooling Hats
          Bandoo Brim Cooling Visors
          Bandoo Cooling Head Rags
          Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

THANK YOU nightflyer and Justsayyes ! I am on my way to Google Land!

Stay cool!

POW WOW ANYONE?
            Sissy

Comment

Fort Worth

I'm in Fort Worth too. It is way too hot, way too early this year.

Comment

Hot in SC

I can empathize Sissy I was oh so sure that I would not be a person who had pxs w/heat. I've lived in the [I]humid South all of my life... and thrived in the summer. I could never tolerate cold; and made sure to always carry a sweater to restaurants, movies, malls,etc; b/c the air conditioners were "freezing." I always had to adjust my thermastat when we had visitors-- and I wore sweats!
                Sometimes, I still find myself feeling "chilly," as my dad puts it; but I'm fearful of putting on that jacket now. I learned the hard way to be cautious about the heat. I am an after midnight person too; my chihuahuas (best friends) keep me company, while my husband and daughter sleep. I am a self proclaimed tree hugger and [I]need [I]to be outside. I have a myriad of flowers, trees, etc; I even have a Zen Garden! It is usually still in the 90s after midnight here, so I wear a cooling vest--which I am so grateful for-- otherwise, I would collapse from the heat.
                I wasn't prepared for this loss-- so I compensate as best I can. My husband and inlaws put additional birdfeeders on the deck and in front of the family room. There are glass french doors so I can always see my beloved birds; and the hodge podge of flower containers.

I've always had house plants and now there is not a room in the entire house w/out them; even the bathrooms!
                I am told that the humidity isin't as high in Texas; does that help when you're outside at night?

Great to hear from someone in the south who is a night owl. Thanks for sharing Be Well.
                Shalom,
                Suz
                You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

EEEK.....humidity and heat make me start looking for a coffin to crawl into. It's funny because I rain. I will stand in it. Maybe because the water has a cooling affect.

But just the humidity and heat also set's off my "MS HUG".....AND believe me you do not want that kind of "HUG". I can't breath and it feel's like Big Foot is sitting on my chest.

We have a little humidity, sometimes, but rarely any rain. So then you have the dust and sand blowing around. When I woke up this am I went straight to the couch and heating pad.My spastisty was horrible and I was to weak to sit up. After a couple of hours I felt a little better. THIS was because I made a trip to the local gro. store yesterday and got over heated.
                  Sissy

Comment

Working...
                  X