90 days in.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 days in.....

Well it has been 3 months since my dx and I honestly say I have riden the entire emotional rollercoaster. I have been angry, asked why me, been angry again and have felt lonely. I think the hardes was feeling lonely. I felt like noone understood what my life had become. I felt like noone really cared.

Finally after 3 months of emotional torture I have begun to accept the life that is now mine. I sit up late at night and just think. I put on my earphones plug in my iPod close my eyes and let my mind go. It was during one of my mental vacations the words of my dad rang forth. He would always tell me " Son always remember things happen for a reason and happen for the best."

So with these word I realized I had not been cursed but I had been given a challenge. A challenge to teach people not to judge and to respect one another. I have learned to accept MS not as a disability but yet as an opportunity. It takes a strong person to handle the challenges of living with MS. So it is with this acceptance I feel special and not different. I feel strong and not we weak. And I feel blessed and cursed.

You see I know now that it truly could be worse and the reason for me having MS is to help others understand that. To many times I hear people crying woe is me. Now it is my challenge to help them understand that while they do have problems or an illness there are always those who have bigger problems or a more debilitating disease. Don't feel sorry for yourself but feel blessed knowing things could always be worse. And if my MS progresses to the point of total disability I will be strong and not weak. I watched my Mom slowly die from breast cancer and her strength never ceased to amaze me. She was more concerned and worried about those around and close to her than she was for herself. That is the strength I will draw from.

So for those who may read this that are newly diagnosed know that you are not alone. Though life as you knew it changed in the instant those words were spoken by your doctor still have life to live. And while we will all have our moments where we cry in pain and pound the walls in anger we are being human. We will walk forward from those moments stronger and more at peace with our lives.

May God Bless us all and help us to perservere.

***Message broken into paragraphs for readability. Some of our members have vision problems with large blocks of type.***
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

your post could not have come at a better time. i was dx'd a year ago and have been feeling pretty good other than some fatigue and heat intolerance. this week, especially yesterday and today, not so good.

i read your post and felt better, though my head is still slushy!! like all of us , i have a busy life and will let this get the best of me!!

thanks for a great uplifting post!!
    Symptoms-Fall 2003, Dx'd June 2010, Copaxone July 2010

Comment

I respect your courage to take this approach.

All I would caution is this...do not think you have it figured out or have the answer on how to move forward in dealing with this disease after only three short months.

I am still evolving and it has been over 3 years.

Best of luck to you and I commend your positive attitude.

Comment

Beautifully said. Part of our evolving spiritually, is to figure out the lessons and learn from them.

ACCEPTANCE

IS

THE KEY
        May you continue to be blessed and supported with love and kindness~ Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

WindWalker

Oh I am not naive about the workings of MS. It was a 7 year process getting my dx. So if anything I was able to better prepare myself for the dx.

I was dx with throat cancer at the ripe old age of 39. That came on the heals of my ENT telling me in pre-op not to worry I was to young for that. I know he was trying to put me at ease but I was keenly aware the possibilty existed. I actually felt worse for him than I did for me. There I was facing a possible life threatening disease and I saw a tear run down the cheek of my doctor when he told me. Not being able to talk I wrote him a note telling him it was ok, it was not his fault and things are going to be ok. God was testing us both and we both passed. I am not a deeply religous man but I am spiritual and have an unwavering faith. It was from this faith that I pull my strength.

I know to expect the unexpected from MS. Just when I think I have figured out what to expect and when to expect it POW it changes course. Oh I get angry, I get confused, concerned, worried and I sometimes want to cry. I know things may be rough but it will be ok.

Too many times we look for answers instead of just accepting things for the way they are. We should learn how to handle it should it happen again. As MS'ers we are always looking for answers, searching for a reason when sometimes the only answer is that's MS being MS. Just last week my DW was questioning my neuro about why all the sx's, some of them being new to me, were presenting themselves. She was wondering why the DMD was not working. He calmly looked at her and with great compassion said " Dear, the Avonex will only slow the progression of the disease. The new sx's well, that is just MS. MS'ers will always have sx's with somedays being worse than others."

NO I do not take MS for granted instead it takes me for granted. It thinks it can run my life but little does it know. In this war MS may win some of the battles but I will win the war and live my life. And if I can change one persons life by living mine with strength, faith, courage adn compassion then I will be a better person for it regardless of my Challenged Life.

Challenged Life = Disability.
          Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
          Babe Ruth

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words.
            Jan you are definitely correct Acceptance is the Key. Not there yet but working on it.

Comment

Waydwnsouth- Bravo, well said, I agree with you 100%,

NO I do not take MS for granted instead it takes me for granted. It thinks it can run my life but little does it know. In this war MS may win some of the battles but I will win the war and live my life. And if I can change one persons life by living mine with strength, faith, courage adn compassion then I will be a better person for it regardless of my Challenged Life
              Throat cancer, I am there with you with tongue and neck cancer 6 months after MS dx, this may be why you and I have the atitude we do regarding the MS, I have said before the MS may cripple me but it is very unlikely it will kill me and it is out there where I can keep an eye on it, the cancer can kill and it plays hide and seek. 2 years of recovery from chemo and radiation has been much harder then anything MS has thrown at me so far. No I'm not happy about having MS but there is alot of things out there much worse.

If i can walk and talk, and see and pee, i'm having a great day!
              Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post

It thinks it can run my life but little does it know.
                You have faced some hard challenges with your health and have persevered...you showed selfless compassion. Sounds like you have indeed successfully drawn strength from your Mother.

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post

In this war MS may win some of the battles but I will win the war and live my life.
                In spirit I fight right along your side. It is hard to continue to be strong when this disease is a relentless foe. I pray for you to remain strong and prevail.

Comment

Working...
                X