How do I know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I know?

Ok, I know these questions have probably been asked a million times, but please bear with me, as I'm very new to this whole MS thing, only being diagnosed about 2 months ago.

How do I know if I'm having a relapse?

I see people posting about flares - what are they, and are they different from a relapse?

The reason I'm asking these questions is because I was having vision problems in my left eye for about three or four days - it was going blurry, but it wasn't constantly blurry, just off and on. Is this something common with MS?
    The day after I first noticed the blurry vision, I had a "dizzy spell", they only lasted a few seconds, but almost made me fall, and left me weak after. While this was going on, I noticed slight tremors in my left hand (which I haven't really had before), they were significantly worse yesterday, though still not BAD bad (if you know what I mean). But eyes were fine completely fine all day!
    Today my eyes have been fine so far, and my tremors seem to have gone back to what I would call "slight".
    I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced something similar to this? Does it sound like I'm having a flare? A relapse? Am I going crazy?

Thank you in advance for any answers you can provide!

Oops! I wrote that I had a dizzy spell and "they" left me weak, I meant to say that "it" left me weak - I only had one dizzy spell. Sorry!

Comment

First of all, I NEVER noticed you wrote "they"..lOL

And I am sorry for what you are going through.

Whenever you are having eye/vision issues, in MY opinion I think its best to get that checked. Now it IS a holiday weekend, but there is always someone on call. Be prepared that most likely they may send you to ER..but.. ask what the course of treatment may be. The ER may have a protocol to follow or call the Neuro on call anyway and follow what he recommends.

There are more folks on here familiar with ON.. and hopefully they will guide you. Again, I would not wait.

AND folks say "flare" when new symptoms appear or former ones re-appear. To ME, "flare" means shorter time of endurance where RELAPSE means symptom(s) are lasting more than a couple of days.

It's always wise to let your neuro's triage RN to know of any new or reappearing symtpoms as they are monitoring your progress.

I feel for you.. come back here and let us know how its going. We're here to support and inform you the best we can.

Warmly, Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

MJan, thank you for your reply.

I did call my Neuro on Thursday, to let him know what was going on. He told me to call him the next day and let him know what was going on, that he might want me to come in, or to put me on steroids. I called and updated a nurse, but never got a call back.

I was prepared to go to the Ophthalmologist yesterday if the blurry vision continued, but since I didn't have any blurriness, decided not to go. I'm going on my second day with no blurry vision, can I assume no ON?

Comment

Originally posted by april may june View Post
          I see people posting about flares - what are they, and are they different from a relapse?
          "Flare" ("flare-up") and "relapse" mean the same thing. So does "exacerbation"...all are terms for the same phenomenon.

Here's what the NMSS has to say on the subject:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ons/index.aspx

As far as your current symptoms are concerned, I'd suggest putting in a call to your doctor or his/her nurse. You might need a referral to an opthalmologist if the vision problem returns. Your symptoms might also be from something unrelated to MS.

Comment

Working...
          X